Monday, October 11, 2010

answers to prayer-yes, no, or wait


When Ted was asked "how are you doing?" he would respond "better than you, I don't have to talk to me!" And depending on who was asking, he meant it. And I think of people's prayer life sometimes, and how they approach God You see, He answers every prayer. Yes-we like that answer, it is so nice when God agrees with us. Then there is no, and we wonder how God just can't understand what we are asking. "Don't you care God? Are you paying attention?" And our initial response sometimes is one of disappointment, for we hate to be told no. But I have to come to realize when He says no, it is for my protection, or He has something better.
The third repsonse from God is wait. For what? How long? Will I like it, will it be worth waiting? And if we don't try to hurry God, we find the answer is always worth waiting for. But that wait can sometimes seem like it takes forever. And so many base their relationship, or how they see God based on answers to prayer. Isn't the fact He is God enough?
Just imagine, if He answered us like we talk to others? Can you see Him telling us to chill out? Don't bother me now, I have a universe to run. Or, "oh no, not you again!" Yet when we are asked a question about God, we react poorly sometimes. We get on our theological discourse high horse,and think we need to explain everything we know, and oh by the way, maybe answer the question while doing it.
Some years ago a Boozefighter put me in a headlock, seeing I was a Christian. He said,"I have a question for you. Can God make a rock so big He cannot pick it up?" And with all my Biblical juices flowing answered, "You don't ask God stupid questions like that." And when the few seconds of silence passed, the guy answered, "good answer, I like that." Not the words I planned, but the words God gave me, and the right answer.
The gospel, like most of us, is simple. 25 words explain it, John 3:16. And in 87 words, Lincoln penned the Gettysburg Address-note, he never really lived there. In 1337 words, our forefathers gave us the Declaration of Independence. Yet today, the Obama Health Care Bill alone has over 2000 pages! And was encouraging the senators and representatives not to read it. How ungodlike!
Take the time to read John. Maybe look at the love and hope in the Gettysburg Address. Feel secure in knowing about the Declaration of Independence. But put your faith only in God. Talk with Him, and when asked about Him, answer in love. Don't bowl them over with what you know. They will only care about what you know, by what you show. Read your Bible. It may surprise you what is in it!
And when you are done, what it leaves in you! And if God askes how you are doing, tell Him! "Better, now that you've talked to me." A lesson for Ted, and all who seek Him. He didn't have to send Jesus, aren't you glad He did?
love with compassion,
Mike
matthew25biker.blogspot.com