Thursday, October 14, 2010

what good is fun if you don't enjoy it?


I am blessed that I get to ride so many different motorcycles. From 165hp Rockets, to 50hp Scramblers, I get to have many different reactions when the throttle is twisted. And I like going fast, and stopping quickly-it's a rush! So it often surprises people when I'm asked, which bike is your favorite, I answer the Bonneville. For you see it doesn't handle the best, brakes are definitely not radial style, two up is a torture test, and although it would be the fastest bike on the road 40 years ago, today it is mid pack-but still faster than any new Harley. So why is the Bonne your favorite?
Long before our egos went out of control with performance figures, bikes were fun to ride. Whether a quick trip to the store, or a quick trip to New Mexico, just riding was fun. Wind in your face, bugs in your teeth, and the feeling of freedom were worth any ride, anywhere, at any time. But today, things have regressed so much that fun is not listed under specifications. In fact, it may not be listed anywhere, but is still there. Not removed, but hidden, covered up by some ad man's idea of how you and your ride should relate.
True, the Bonne has the classic Triumph styling, and it is hard to go anywhere without someone coming up and reminiscing about the one they had, but it is the view from the seat that I find the best, and the view I will get to know best the more I ride. It is how the bike makes me feel, and I can ride 100' and find myself smiling. It is a bike that doesn't test my limits, but lets me test its limits, and I feel comfortable pushing it as hard as I can. For some, it takes a GSXR1000, for me the Bonneville is the drug of choice. And sometimes when riding something else, miss the simplicity of the Bonne.
Just a motorcycle. No bags, no windshield, and no radios. If I want to carry something, I take Bungee cords. Remember them? I attach my Arai to the rear fender brace, and I am safe and secure. The motor makes music, just ask the man at the Denny's last week, who when I fired it up, said "don't leave, let me get my friend, he has to hear this!" I can drag foot pegs, giving me the illusion of being a faster rider, and even run it to redline, without being pulled off the seat by speed. And it is still faster then 99% of the cars out there, and for less than $8000 I can have it all. Or fill my garage with many bikes while you have your superior performing "only" motorcycle. Fun-the missing factor in too many rides, and missing in too many people's lives.
If anyone should have fun it is Christians. We have heaven assured, a great and loving God to protect us, and the Holy spirit to guide us. And we have 24 hour access to all via Jesus. Yet so many buy into the world's attractions, and miss the fun of just being a Christian. The ones who have all the Jesus stickers, telling you what a great person they are, while driving with the cell phone, and cutting you off. Who are always late for church, and interrupt all those whose toes they step on when climbing over you to get to their seat. Who always have a kind word for the pastor to his face, but never to his back. Who are so overwhelmed with success in life, they forget what true success is, and are miserable. They know the F word, just not the FUN word-the real F word.
So next time Wing rider, when we talk, and you can't understand how my light, great handling bike is so much fun, at a third of the price, just adjust your electric seat, turn on your DVD player, hook up your communicators, and set your cruise. And take your 1000 pound motor cycle out for a ride-on the freeways. Eat at a chain restaurant, and talk with your other Wing friends. And never get how much fun I am having. Just feeling the wind in my face, the music from my exhaust, and looking forward to scraping my pegs the first chance I get-on a back road somewhere.
And you believers, I don't do seminars. Or weekend retreats. Have nothing against them, except they cut into my fun time with Jesus. You see, in any group you are only as strong as your weakest link. In my group, I am the weakest link-so I go my own pace, and can keep up with Jesus just fine. And its fun, and I can go all day, for days. Just Jesus, a Bible, and time well spent with Him. And you won't hurt my feeling complaining about the retreat food, or how you didn't sleep. For I am secure that in my relationship with the road, that basic is still the best. And simple, just like me and Jesus beats anything else.
For Jesus, like riding is personal. And should be fun. Doing both more and enjoying it less? Remember his disciples carried no money, food, or clothes. Just what was with them, and look at their adventures. See, almost 2000 years ago Jesus knew how to travel-simply. Just like the gospel-simple. So that all that heard could understand.
Do you understand? Do you get it? Turn off your headset and turn on to Jesus. Ride on!
Are we having fun yet? I am! Pick up your Bible without the i-pod, commentaries, or tapes. Just read it. Maybe under a tree, next to a winding road, with your bike parked near you. Hear the birds, smell the flowers, and feel the spirit surround you. Bet you didn't know how much fun simple could be? and why we look back fondly at the good old days! These are the good old days!
love with compassion,
Mike
matthew25biker.blogspot.com