Monday, March 7, 2011

you're 16, you're beautiful, and you're mine



My friend Guy, from HAMC, sends me interesting forwards from time to time. And although we come at life from slightly different perspectives, we have a common addiction-motorcycles. So when I got his latest e-mail on Saturday, I figured more interesting bikes. But was pleasantly surprised to find it was about Hollywood heroes. Not the Carlos Estevez, aka Charlie Sheens, or Lindsay Lohans of the world. But true heroes, who when it came time to serve their country during WWII, gave up their careers voluntarily and joined the Armed Services of the US of A. And not just bit players, but stars like Clark Gable, who was too old to fight, still trained and gave morale boost to the troops. A pilot, who would have flown over Europe if his age had not disqualified him. Jimmy Stewart, joined as a private and ended up Major Stewart, flying 20 some missions over Europe. George C. Scott-USMC. Men like James Doohan, aka Scotty, Charles Durning, Sir Alec Guiness, and David Niven, who all were part of the D Day invasion. Charles Bronson, Eddie Albert, Brian Keith, Tyrone Power, Lee Marvin, and Robert Ryan who all served in the Pacific theatre, some wounded and many awarded medals or Purple Hearts for their bravery. Men who didn't hide behind their "stardom," but rose above it. These men are heroes to me. The best Hollywood had to offer-and I wonder Hollywood-is Carlos E. the best you have to offer us?
Yesterday we gathered to what would have been Laiken's 16th birthday. I say would have been, for almost three years ago, she died and is resting in the arms of a loving God. A little girl, who when I first met her was only 10 years old, with leukemia. Who for the three years we were friends warmed my heart and became my hero. For like the men mentioned above, she had character. Which rose to the top under pressure. Whose love of life and of God showed through under the harshest of circumstances. She showed it when in Children's Hospital in Loma Linda, and Jim and I held her while they inserted a feeding tube through her nose. She knew it would hurt, this wasn't the first time, and as the tears flowed from her face, she squeezed my hand to ease the pain, just like I had told her too, and I saw a courage and character shine through. And even as my hands hurt from squeezing them, they in no way could compare to the battle she was facing-or the pain from it. To the last time I saw her conscious, while throwing up into a big yellow pot, being comforted by Grandma Rita, she looked up, saw me, and waved-with that big Laiken smile. But the leukemia didn't get her, and infection did. And when God finally said "enough-come on home Laiken," she did.
I know her mom Stacy still misses her, and all the things Laiken never go to do. No more cheerleading, first dates, or proms. She missed by months being the Big Sister she had wanted to be to Abigail. But God knew best-and all these earthly events pale compared to where she is, and what she is doing. Laiken gave when it would have been OK to take. She loved when the situation said different, and wracked with pain. She stood firm, when others around her fell vicitm to the pain she endured. She is my hero, a "shero" if you will. And when Stacy called to invite us, I at first said no. It was a tough week, and I didn't feel like visiting anyone. But then I remembered Laiken, and I had to go. Out of respect, and honor. But mostly love. The love of a little shero, who touched more hearts through cancer than most do in life. A true witness of Jesus Christ, not just going out witnessing. But yet when it came time, she went out, a witness of His love.
Perhaps the song with Ringo's voice says it best. "Now you're my angel devine, you're 16, you're beautiful, and you're mine." Words uttered from the mouth of God, on this her birthday.
It is said celluloid heroes never die. But true heroes, like Laiken continue to live on, and encourage us. For just a few shining moments she lit up many lives. And now she lights up heaven.
My shero, and my friend. A daughter I never had, but got to borrow. A young lady of character. Happy Birthday Sweet 16!
love with compassion,
Mike
matthew25biker.blogpsot.com