Wednesday, June 8, 2011

no Monopoly on grace


I used to love to play Monopoly. You know, the game born out of the depression, that allows you to buy properties, then charge rent when others land on them. It must have been fun for Depression era families to play, exacting money from their playmates, getting a break from the real world where they had to pay to others. A source of relief, even if it was just a game. And available today in versions from Harley to Barbie. The games have changed, just not the rules.
Which we used to make up, for us. Rules like the $100 bill on Free Parking, and paying all fines to the middle. And winning the pot when you landed on it. Not found in the rules. How about $100 for snake eyes? Nope. Three straight doubles and you go to jail? Can't find it. Mortgage all your properties, yet still collect rents? Now that's real life, isn't it? Just not in the rules. And so maybe Monopoly, but not its rules, really does duplicate real life.
And I find many wishing to make up rules, or bend them for their own benefit. Some are sad, and some are sadder. I got a prayer request about a man this week. He has health problems from being 200 pounds overweight. He lost his job, so lost his health insurance. He has so many tickets, he can't pay them. His divorce has caused relationship problems, affecting his family. My first thought when I responded was, these are all self inflicted wounds. And I was told no, that this man knows the Bible, and is well respected among the church. Then I really cheesed them off by saying he has a pride problem. No reply to that one-yet. For like those of us making up rules to the games, he is making up rules for his life. Based on pride, which is very subtle, but always denied when confronted. And always ends is disaster.
I watched as Congressman Weiner got caught in an adulterous affair with numerous women on Twitter. When caught he claimed full responsibility, a noble thing. But didn't apologize, or even change his heart. Now that he claims full responsibility for one sin, and then lying to cover it up, he wants life to go on as normal. I'm just glad I didn't vote for him, or marry a guy like that. What kind of lessons did he teach his kids in this? Don't be stupid, you won't get caught. That's nice.
I also went to a funeral of a friend this week. Her husband, an obnoxious drunk, blamed her family for her death. And did everything he could to keep them out of the service. Cruelty, even in the face of death, I cannot even imagine what she went through living with him. All over money, her dad's, and how he was out to get it. No morals, no rules, not even a plan. Just greed, to the point of having a full on Catholic service, just to make her family sit through it and show how religious she was. Catholic or not, I would be embarrassed if I was called to be part of this. And I am sure the priest would have refused the request if he knew the hatred behind it. Using the name of God in vain, God, who is love. Do you think there were any blessings there?
And these three examples make me sad. I am not impressed by those who know the word, but live the word. This man with the self inflicted wounds needs to repent. Turn to God, and go the right direction. Weiner-repent. Turn from your evil ways, and choose God. And widower, turn from your greed to God, for when you die you will leave the same amount your wife did-everything!
And yet, in every instance, pride goes before the fall. And it still raises its ugly head to me everyday. You think you are so holy, aren't you? No-I realize I can screw up at any moment. But I turn to God for help, and forgiveness. I truly know that the more I learn, the less I find I know. I can do all things through Christ that strengthens me, but nothing without Him. And any success I have in ministering is really Jesus, shining His light through me in that situation. Sometimes despite me. I cannot heal the sick, or raise the dead. Or have faith to move mountains. But I know Him, and He does and can. Isn't it about time you realize it really is all about Him, and not you?
Pray for these mentioned above, for God finds no joy in the death of the wicked. And we all can hit the stupid button at any moment. Trust God, who loves us despite us. Who wishes to lead the overweight man to lose weight, to see his debts paid, and for his family to be reconciled. He wishes for Weiner to be an example of love covering a multitude of sin, and how Jesus can change a heart. And he wishes for greed to leave and give way to giving, where the real riches and blessings are. And in every case, it is up to these people to turn to God, repent, and follow Jesus. Simple enough, even a biker can do it.
Life isn't Monopoly, you can't change the rules to suit you or your situation. But you can start over from scratch, and that chance is given to you right now by the God of the universe Himself. A rule change will not change your heart, but a change of heart sure will change the rules. It is called mercy and grace-given in abundance, from a God who loves you just as you are. And who proves it daily in His love for you.
A hotel on Boardwalk won't get you into heaven. And no card will get you out of jail, free. Life is not a game. It is better to live by grace than rules. For if not for God's grace, there go I.
love with compassion,
Mike
matthew25biker.blogspot.com