Tuesday, November 1, 2011

the four seasons of love, part 2-winter




Cathy and I got to be friends after she broke up with her boyfriend and started hanging out with our "gang" again. She was was very pretty, with long brown hair down to her waste, and also my friend Joe's sister. In these BC days, before Christ, I was very wild, and when we started getting to be friends, she was warned. I was told. But being independent, she was fine, as I respected her, and also for the fact that not Big Brother, but her brothers were watching. There was always the constant reminder of "not with my sister" hanging in the air, but we became close anyway. Never quite boyfriend/girlfriend, but we spent so much time together that a casual observation might lead you to think otherwise.
We lost touch after I got saved and moved to Albuquerque, but when I drove back to Jersey with my best friend Terry and his sister, Geralyn, my first call from my parents house was to Cathy. It was Christmas break, and she came right over. Something magical was going on between us, and we spent ever waking moment, and some non-waking moments together. Christmas was in the air, and talked of getting married. Things seemed so right that Christmas, and even Lance thought we would make "a fine Christian couple," although it would be less than six months until she was saved. Even Joe thought it was a good idea-so the planning began. And it was fun, until we discovered one obstacle that we couldn't overcome. My life was in New Mexico, hers was in Jersey. And neither one of us would move. And then it became evident that although the feelings of love were there, it takes more than feelings to be in love. We decided to wait, which is just like saying nothing is like saying no. It was my first experience with God telling me no. And my first lesson on what no meant. It meant that He had something better planned for me. A lesson He would repeat to me many times again.
Pastor David Jeremiah tells the story of two people who went to his church. We will call them Barbie and Ken. Ken was handsome, talented, and destined for greatness. Barbie was pretty, smart, and both loved the Lord. The story around the church was what a great couple they would make for God, and they planned to get married after college. But at the last minute, before the wedding, Ken had a decision to make-the hardest one ever. His heart was in ministry-in Africa, and Barbie wanted to stay home and have kids. So much in love, but also in love with God. A few days before the big event, and it was to be BIG, Ken told her that he could not abandon the dream that God had given him, and unless she wanted to go overseas, he could not marry her. She understood, and through the tears they both went on with God.
Ken prospered in Africa, starting churches, and keeping in contact with his home church. His contact was a young secretary, who we will call Betsy. He and Betsy got close during letters, phone calls, and on his first visit back. But you could tell something special was between them, and the girls wondered, dare they set them up on a date? Which turned out to be the best thing for them. They fell in love, and got married. Betsy shared Ken's dream for establishing churches, and at the time I first heard this story, some 20 years ago, they had started over 150 churches in villages where no Jesus had been before. Together they were a mighty team for God. But it took a no from God, that was followed by a mighty yes to bless them both.
My yes came just in time for that next Christmas. And I will be celebrating my 35th Christmas with my wife and best friend this year. Like Ephesians tells us, God gives us more than we could ever ask for or ever imagine-and He delivered with Theresa. But it took that no, and even coming so close with Cathy, for God to get my attention. With Theresa I have the perfect partner, we both love Jesus, minister together, and ride together. Like the old Turtle song says "I can't see me loving nobody but you, for all my life!" And that's how God has made us. Happy. Together.
Jesus, Theresa, and motorcycles. It don't get much better. And a lesson on God's love,and how no means something better yet to come. For it is true Jesus is the reason for the season-and He has given me a wonderful wife to remind me of that every season. Every day. For love is more than emotions, it is a person. Now that's love-that's Jesus.
love with compassion,
Mike
matthew25biker.blogpsot.com