Wednesday, December 14, 2011

the light in Laiken




We were blessed to be part of a toy run for Children's Hospital last week. Almost 200 bikes rode to Wal Mart, then to the hospital and handed out toys. Once again in the minority-Theresa and I the only Triumphs, and Theresa and Edal the only solo women riders, we were and are welcomed by the HOG Chapters despite our refusal to worship at the Bar and Shield. But while the bikes took up most of the driveway, and the bikers stood in a group, I walked over and started talking to the kids and their parents. I had come to minister more than a toy, I just hadn't realized it. The kids were excited, and from age 15 to 1 year, were out to get a gift. Talking with a 15 year old girl, from above Reno with her mom, her heart condition kept her hospitalized. We joked, and when I told her don't break too many boys hearts when she got out, both of them smiled and laughed. And blushed. She had broken mine. I joked with two girls in wheelchairs, who showed me the "free gift sheet." And weren't sure when I explained you had to compete in a 50 yard dash to get a toy. But seeing my smile, they caught on and we all laughed. Then the aunts and mothers joined in, and soon a wheelchair race was planned. After the toys, of course.
I watched as Theresa walked a lady and her young daughter back to her room. She had gotten the Barbie she wanted. Pushing the stand with the meds attached, a simple act was so welcome to this mom. How blessed Theresa got to pray with her, too. I also helped another mom do the same thing, when her 1 year old was scared and she was trying to push the unbalanced cart across the sidewalk. The crowd scared her, but when I told her "come on, follow me," she did, and the hug at the end said more than any thanks could have. We were out in the crowd, to us where the action really was, and is. And I believe where God wants us to be.
Jesus taught in the temple, but ministered out on the streets. Where the people were, with their problems. He went to them, and whether on 200 bikes, or one on one, He was found among them. And that is where we should be found, too. Out among the people!
Last night was the annual Lights for Laiken. A celebration of the life of the daughter of my heart whom I never had, and the "big sister of Abigail." As always Stacy went over the top and from the fire engine, the police car, the LA-NBC news truck, to cookies, hot chocolate, and the crowded street, we all had fun. Santa was there, and watching the kids get excited was fun. Even more so when the kids whose dad was playing Santa didn't recognize him, and one was scared and wouldn't go sit on his lap. HO-HO-HO to that one! Jim handled the lights this year and did a great job. And we all left wishing each other a Merry Christmas. A crowd that I am blessed to be a part of, and of who I am making many friends. All because of a little girl, who is in heaven, celebrating Christmas everyday.
My night was really touched when we walked in, and Abby saw me and reached out for a hug. While sitting under a picture of her big sister. While I shed tears of joy with a big smile, I know she didn't understand why. Laiken was and is that special to me. And I hope Abby will be too. You see you will be part of many activities in your life, but some make it special. Some make the 200 mile round trip on a week night worth it. Some make you look forward to it, for you know what is at the destination. You want to share in the love, and be part of it. And that is Laiken. And why she still inspires me to get out into the crowds of kids like on the toy run. In my file of 35mm memories, and last night I ran through them all, a Christmas card to myself from Laiken, and wished myself a Merry Christmas.
Today why not make the love that Jesus has for you personal. Make it intimate. Show love to someone. No preaching, and if needed use words. Many hugs last night reminded me of the Love for Laiken shirts and signs. Jesus made it personal for her. That would be her wish for you. One last moment of mine with Laiken-
I showed up on a Sunday at Children's Hospital of LA, and Jim took a break. Laiken waved me in, and I went into her clean area. Here we are bouncing on her bed, and joking like two kids, when Nurse Judy walks in. Whose take was a bit different. She had a fit because I am not supposed to be in this clean area! Which Laiken knew. I guess leather and denim after a 125 mile bike ride aren't as sanitary as I thought. And as I am being asked to leave, with a "c'mon" tug on my sleeve, while being reminded to never enter here again, Laiken is laughing and bouncing on the bed even more. She got me! Or was it Judy? Or both? And when I was out in the non-clean area, we all laughed. A bit of joy, from a little 12 year old girl, with cancer and with tubes attached to her. Isolated from the world, but not from the joy of Jesus-who never left her. And couldn't be isolated from others. With a spirit of life and joy I long for sometimes. But I was ready for her the next time, as she once again invited me in on my next visit. Hmm, no Judy, maybe...what is the old saying, first time your fault, second time mine?
It was the joy of Jesus that made Laiken who she was. I hope you know that joy too. If not, please accept this invitation to personally know Him as His gift this Christmas. Tell Him that Laiken sent you. If you do, someday you will see Laiken and me in heaven. We'll be in the children's section. Jumping for joy on the beds, and celebrating Jesus.
In the light of the Lord. Until then let the light of Jesus shine through you. As it does to us through Laiken. On a Tuesday night for all to see. Merry Christmas, see you soon little lady,
love with compassion,
Mike
matthew25biker.blogspot.com