Wednesday, March 28, 2012

living a dream



Many think that as they get older that time goes quicker. I was once among them, until I realized that time wasn't changing-I was! I was getting slower, or not as fast as I once was. Time was constant. And the second law of thermodynamics proved it-we are all atrophying. Sorry evolutionists, we are all aging, there is no fountain of youth to the missing link. The same could be said for my level of smarts. One day I woke up, and found out I didn't know as much as I thought I did. And that I didn't know more than I knew. And believe it or not, I felt much better. For it seems the lessons of my youth had stuck with me longer than expected, not growing up will do that to you, and fortunately had not caused permanent damage. After reading Ray Stedman's study on Ecclesiastes, I found myself like Solomon, except for the riches. He wrote this in a fallen state, he wasn't walking with God at the time, and found out that no matter what your stage in life was, without God you are a failure. And will never enjoy life as God has intended it. No matter how much chrome you have on your Harley, the catalog gets bigger each year.
Like many, I was approached at an early age by an Amway representative. "Do you know ten people that could use more money?" And signed up, believing all the rhetoric, seeing the beautiful people in life flying to lunch in their own Cessna, eating lobster for breakfast, and burdened with which Cadillac do I drive today? But real life was different, the meetings had other wanna-be's like me, and one time I was told that success in the company was "fake it till you make it." Now if Amway was short for the American Way, they had hit it perfectly. Finance your future. But at age 22, I was still young, and vulnerable. So when a couple, Ralph and Dee, who were movers and shakers, were bragging about picking up the new T-bird they had special ordered, I cruised by Frontier Ford to see them get their dream car. I was watching their dream. They saw me as they walked into the finance office, and as I stood outside, I heard the battle unfold. They had lousy credit, and they couldn't get financed by anybody. Lack of income was among the problems. Shot down, in a world they lived in that was more form than function. They were good arguers, but lousy negotiators. Seems Ford didn't care how big they were in Amway, if they didn't pay their bills, Ford would not loan them any money. They had to make a certain income to qualify. How dare Ford? As they stormed past me, not even making eye contact, I kept this to myself. I truly felt sorry for them. Later I was told they were faking it, not making it. For if they had made it, Amway would lease them a car-with a millstone agreement. If they fell below a standard, they had to pay the lease themselves! The American Way? Bottom line, if you didn't perform, you made no money, and Amway didn't make your car payment. Ralph and Dee had been living a dream, but like anyone who knows a sleepwalker will tell you, it is dangerous to wake them up. For they were living a dream, not the dream, and it really was a nightmare. A lesson learned early, but not early enough for them. Do people like that ever get it?
When we are told we "greater is He who is in us, than he who is in the world," God is talking about living in the spirit. We all have to live in the world, but don't have to bow to its pressures, demands, lies, or legends. I am still waiting to hear of the businessman who wished for one last deal before he died, but have spent time with numerous folks who wish for more time with their kids, wife, or family. But the ones who are really sad are the ones who realize they should have spent more time with God. In many cases they have repented, and will spend eternity in heaven with Him. But what about the Ralph and Dees of the world, whose God is things, and only mention Jesus when it is convenient? Who are so in debt to sin, that they don't believe that salvation is a gift? They believe like everything else in their lives it has to be earned. That life is a competition, a place to perform, and that they hope to get to heaven on their performance. Don't they think that God reads their credit report too? If God won't come across with the loan, why should anyone else? Don't they know that they cannot earn a place in heaven?
One of the benefits of being Born Again is being a new person in Christ. Your credit report is clean, in fact there is no record of any past sins, late payments, repossessions, short sales, or dunning. Even the stupid is erased. God truly makes a new person. Start all over again. Something no credit report can do. It is up to us to live like it. To trust God and let Him make all things new. To show us how to not fall into the same traps over and over again, and to see how the things we thought previously were so valuable, are really not worth much. Cars get old, styles change, and it seems they always raise the quota the closer you get. Putting the dream just out of reach. But never the lust or the disappointment.
Trust God today. Have a life of values, instead of valuables. Walk your talk, and don't fake it till you make it. That won't get you into heaven, the ultimate reward. Try it God's way, instead of Amway's! Exercise self control-a fruit of the spirit, and watch as God's way is the best way. In fact you will find it to be the only way!
Ecclesiastes tells us the rich man never has enough, and stays up nights worrying about what he does have. I find great comfort in knowing my God supplies all my needs in His riches and glory through Christ Jesus. Learn it now and live it daily. You never know who just might be standing outside the office when your sin is exposed!
love with compassion,
Mike
matthew2biker.blogspot.com