Friday, May 11, 2012

feeding the addiction we call motorcycles




Look closely at the attached pictures. You may be surprised. Yes, that is Skip Heitzig and Dennis Agajanian, on Skip's chopper. He also has a CB750 cafe racer. And Dennis has a Harley, but rides his GS BMW more because it is more fun. I got this from both of them talking one on one. Seems we have a common addiction-motorcycles. And of course Jesus. There have always been two opposite schools of thought in motorcycle design. One is add more chrome, the other is take everything off that isn't needed. Simple enough philosophies, just leave it to man to screw it up. I can see points in both schools of design, it is when taken to an extreme that I lose interest. Form before function, remember the motorcycle NHTSA build under Jimmy Carter, that only went backwards?
Harley for years, and all those others who want to be a Harley, but don't want to be a Harley, have chromed anything it can. I have seen anything from lights, to brakes, to wheels, to seats-yes seats, covered in chrome. Leaving something with such a huge investment that they are afraid to ride it-and it always needs polishing. I have also seen guys with the "if it don't need it, remove it" mentality. And end up with ugly parts exposed, seats with no padding-smoothes out the lines, and only a tach, looks cooler. And then it can't be ridden very far, because the pain system God installed in man at the factory won't hold up. And in both cases, man has become slave to the machine.
When I started riding most choppers were Triumphs. Lean looking, I can remember springer front ends, hard tail frames, and loud pipes. But then the cafe racer look began to take over. Low bars, rear set pegs, and an engine built for speed, with a chassis built for handling. I never went for the chopper, but went full on with the cafe racer look. I don't think I owned a bike for over 20 years without low bars on it, and the speeds I rode made it comfortable. And when Suzuki came out with the GSXR, and the others followed, it went from cafe to race track styling. Harley re-marketed itself, and the chopper boom began. Which is now on life support, how many paid way too much for a designer bike, and now are left with a designer statement? Which no one wants, and can't be ridden much. At least many were built off of a custom frame, not aborting a new bike's just for the looks.
But cafe racers are the latest designer bike. And so many older Jap bikes from the 80's are being sacrificed for the latest trend. Too many by those who just want to be stylish, when just about any bike sold today will handle much better than anything in the 80's. Nerdy bikes that no one would ride if they were cool, are now being heralded as the new cafe bike of choice. But you have to look cool, while scraping pegs, just like choppers did while scraping floor boards. I just feel bad all these older bikes are being chopped up-forgive the pun, not intended, and we are losing many clean, old original bikes to vanity. Hopefully it makes my all original GS1000E worth more. It is for sale, but not to anyone who will cafe it! You must draw a line somewhere, and anything that has been around this long, in this condition, should get some respect. This goes for the riders too!
I have never been trendy, and when I see a new trend coming, I look ahead to the crew who will have the responsibility of cleaning up the mess they made. I listen as I visit with other believers, who get off on vanity tangents, following what is fashionable, rather than Godly, and then have to be brought back in line by those who didn't stray. But I am glad for those who stay the course with Jesus. No surprises when it comes to God. He is consistent. NO variation on the gospel, or His word. But yet when someone gets a "new" revelation," it seems a group is always ready to drop what they have, and follow it blindly. If only they had followed Jesus that way. When I hear about those that name it and claim it, I am glad I serve a God, rather than Him serving me. Because in my service to Him, I get to see all He has for me. Which is always for my good, and always a blessing. And whose style is just not for a season. Can you say that about your walk with Christ? Are you always looking for something new, when you already have everything in Jesus? Are you bored with God, never wishing to admit it is because of disobedience? How many new bikes have you ever bought, wishing you had kept the old one?
Stick with Jesus. Sounds simple, and it is simple. Stay in the word. It became flesh, then died for you. Think of it as a person, and let it talk to you. It is the same yesterday, today, and forever. How many bikes have come and gone from your life based on style? And when the style changed, you were left with something no one wants. Stick with Jesus. Don't be trendy. Don't chop, channel, or cafe your life based on what is stylish. Stick with what works, and Jesus works for you. and everybody! Years ago my friend Bill chopped his CB750, then put a Dunstall kit on it. Both were cool for the time, but both were unridable for long distances. Which we rode. And when it came time to sell, he had to put it all back to stock. Just to sell it. No one wants your dreams, they have their own.
The gospel is simple, so guys like me can get it. Jesus can give you more creativity than you can ever imagine, wrap it in blessings, and watch as you get closer to God-and as others come to Christ because of your testimony. If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, behold Jesus. He is beautiful, wonderful, and loves you. And I heard He has just the right ride for you. Just remember, the best view of any motorcycle is the one you see over the handlebars. Let your ride take you somewhere, and take that ride with Jesus. So when you are twisting wrenches, I'll be twisting the throttle. So many roads, so little time. Shouldn't you really be riding more? Isn't that why you rode in the first place? It works with Jesus too. Stick with your first love, and you'll never waste time when you could and should be riding.
love with compassion,
Mike
matthew25biker.blogspot.com