Tuesday, June 11, 2013

cycles, copters, and Camry's







It has been said, and with a great amount of truth, you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist’s office.  We don’t need one, we have the cure for stress, over working, and not enough freedom-we find it in riding.  We can take a tortuous 20 minute commute and turn it into an hour long session of just us and the road by taking the road less traveled home.  But going to work is different, if only we could find a doctor who would write a “too well to attend work today” note, prescribing time spent riding, so many of the world’s problems would go away.  While those who choose to sit in traffic at 20 mph and endure the commute, we can be riding, arriving fresh and refreshed after a long day.  Any doctor, please apply within.  Yet it is time spent riding that can cure the stress of stress, and of boredom.  When riding we can thank God for ride we are on, and ask Him for more to come.  I can thank Him for my dream day, 85 degrees, low humidity, lots of sun and a tail wind, and also ask Him for protection when I get cold, headwinds, and rain.  Either way I can spend time with Him, try that while listening to talk radio on your way home.  Yet not all rides end end up where they were planned, and many take unexpected twists and turns-yet God rides along with you. 
After being on the road for 54 days last summer, 30 in hospitals, 20 in Cardiac Critical Care, and 5 in rehab, the thought of riding after my aorta replacement was far from my mind.  We had started the trip on the Tiger, which was left in Durango after being life flighted to Albuquerque, and I would be chauffered home by Theresa in the back seat of a rented Camry.  Cycles, copters, and Camry’s...not what I planned, but it got us home, the long way.  But in the mean time, while God had performed the miracle of keeping me alive, I was able to rehab at PJ”s Triumph in Albuquerque, by Dr. PJ, who encouraged me to hang out in the shop.  I cannot tell what great joy, mixed with apprehension I had the first time I sat on a Speed Triple R, and was able to reach the handlebars.  Making 3 cylinder sounds in my head, I was riding again, no psychiatrist needed, rehab was proceeding fine.  But it would seem like it would take forever until we left Albuquerque for home, as I was on heavy does of antibiotics for my staph infection, administered by Theresa via my PIC lines.  Dr. Ross had told us maybe 4, then 5 weeks, then going the full 6 weeks due to the severity of my case, we wondered if we would ever see California again.  The word’s of John B. Sebastian’s iconic song, '”The Four of Us” echoed in my head, “paradise was nice, but yet you can’t stay there forever...”  And the words of the song “there is no place like home would soon echo, for truly be it ever so humble, there is no place like it.  Now as great a musician John B. is, he is no theologian, for paradise, aka heaven is nicer than nice, and those who are saved will stay there forever.  It is our home, right now we are all travelers on earth, some answering the call of Jesus, and looking forward to going home, some rejecting it, but receiving also an eternity He promised, hell.  And it is hell without Him!  An eternal commute of pain and suffering, with no end.  But the prescription is offered now, and Jesus is the way.  The great physician, showing why while others practice medicine, He has perfected it.  Both those who ride and those who don’t welcomed, and welcome. 
At 7 weeks I rode again, despite the pleas of Theresa not to.  A short 30 minute ride that left me physically exhausted, but a time of giving God all the glory.  It was His guiding hand that led me home, that had had me survive open heart surgery, and kept Theresa sane and blessed during the ordeal.  I rode behind her for most of 7 weeks in a rented Camry, giving a new meaning to behind every great man, is a great women.  For behind this great wife was a humbled man.  We had endured 1000 miles in two days of 100 degree heat, I had endured a 250 mile helicopter ride, and somehow endured the ride in the Camry home.  There would be many more rides to come, but for those 54 days of not knowing, God was faithful.  He never left us, and the words of a Chaplain encouraged us, “this was no surprise to God.”  Don’t let Jesus become a surprise to you.  Surprise others by accepting His offer of eternal life today.  Live to ride another day, and ride into eternity.  His promises affect you long before you are saved, that is His great love for us, and we don’t have to wait for heaven to enjoy the blessings, they are available now.  Why wait when you can be being blessed now?
On so many trips the ride is the destination,  but what a great ride knowing what our eternal destination is.  Making the ride more fun, and who can’t handle more fun?  In Jesus, paradise is nice, and you can stay there forever.  Life may take us the long way home sometimes, but reaching home is always great.  Choose today, stuck in the traffic of life with no end is sight, or ride with Jesus.  All roads lead somewhere, only one leads to Him.  That’s the only road I want to be on.  And where you ark your bike is up to you.  Searching or riding...you make the choice.  Cycles, copters, and Camry’s-give me tow wheels any time.
love with compassion,
Mike
matthew25biker.blogspot.com