Thursday, October 10, 2013

half the distance to first base




I remember well that hot July night in Scotch Plains when we all sat around the TV watching Neil Armstrong take his first step onto the moon, and speak those immortal words “one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.”  Taking a giant step, as they believed the moon to be billions of years old, and the dust covering it miles deep, and afraid he and the lunar landing module would sink in the dust.  So much for theory, as we know he didn’t, and the Bible tells us it isn’t, but that night when he took his leap of faith, very few of us knew the perceived danger...but Neil did.  And he took that step in faith.  I can associate with small steps, and the importance of them after my open heart surgery.  At four days after surgery, they have you up and walking, hard for me as I was still in a coma, and later found out they were just trying to keep me alive.  But four days after that, when Nurse Jackie told me “today we walk,” I was scared.” I hadn’t walked in over two weeks, was very weak, it took two nurses just to get me into a chair right next to my bed, and my legs were weak, as was the rest of me.  I had no clue as to the beating your body took from the surgery, but I was learning...fast.  So as she helped me stand, and I was ready to sit again, we began to walk, very small steps, more shuffling than walking, and after about 20 feet I couldn’t go any farther.  I was ready to give up, but she kept telling me I could go another five feet.  Which I did, and then turning around the room seemed miles away.  But she kept insisting I could do it, telling me how strong I was, boy was she wrong, and finally I made it back to room 14, and to bed.  I had travelled maybe 50 feet, half the distance to first base, no even the distance to the pitching mound, and I was exhausted.  I had taken one giant leap, and many small steps, and was to learn how important small steps were to be in my recovery.  And how excited others were as I progressed.
The Cardiac Critical Care was on a square, with the hall inside 3 laps to a 1/4 mile.  The next time I went a bit farther, maybe second base, and when I completed my first lap, Carol a nurse, who stood up and applauded when I walked by, greeted me at the other side of the lap doing cartwheels!  No one had expected me to even live, and here I was doing a lap-many, many small steps, and many more to go.  But I was walking and growing in strength, but with no regimen yet.  While walking with Nurse Candy, she kept telling me “go further, do more, you need more strength,” but still no goals given.  So I stopped her, and asked “what was the date of your open heart surgery?”  And after she admitted she never had one, I confessed “well I have, and I am trying as hard as I can.  But I have no goals, I’m not even sure how well I am doing.”  And it was quiet until we got back to my room, where she and Theresa made up a walking regimen for me, with 4 days of goals, written on the board for me to see, and the nurse to help with.  And Candy was met with a surprise, when she came in the next morning to walk with me.  The board had been erased, and when she asked why, it was because I had surpassed them.  Four days of regimen had been completed in one day, and I was ready for more.  Only God and those who counted the steps while walking me knew how many small steps I had taken.  What had begun as a giant leap, just getting out of bed, was made strong by many small steps.  Urged on by caring nurses, a wife’s love, and a loving God, my healer Jesus Christ, who knows all about giant leaps and small steps.  I was to take many more small steps, and another leap the day I walked out of rehab after 5 days, instead of 4 weeks as planned.  Between not being outside for almost 30 days, and not wearing shoes, when Nurse Jessie asked for a wheelchair, I wanted to walk out.  As I grabbed her arm as she told me, I was about to make another giant leap of small steps.  Neil may have walked on the moon, I was overjoyed to be walking in Albuquerque.  And it all started with half the distance to first base.  Never had such a short walk required such endurance.
As all Christians know it took a giant leap of faith when we came to the Lord.  We were going into uncharted waters, and after that giant leap, were not sure always how our lives were to change.  And so in discipleship we took many small steps, and looking back were amazed at how far we had come.  But after the leap, come the steps, yet many are unwilling or unknowing of how to take them.  I get put off when I see some celebrity on TV declare how they have come to Jesus, and how He has changed their lives.  And then a few days later read about their drug bust, or DUI, and I wonder, were they willing to take the small steps.  Or were they so used to being treated special that Jesus was just another photo op for them, and a stepping stone in their career?  But sadder still are those who promote these big names in the name of God, showing how if they can do it, so can you.  And then covering them in adulation for what they have done, when it was Jesus who has done it all, and He gets second billing, if at all.  I can name the names of those who profess Christ publicly, but by their lifestyles show no evidence of it.  Men and women who even name ministries or charities after themselves, and are praised publicly, but wonder about their heart condition.  No small steps, they come out running, and burn out fast.  And I wonder, where was the church, a pastor, a friend to disciple them?  But more importantly, where was Jesus?  Was He even invited along?
They had taken the big step, the small ones must be easy, and how wrong they are.  My big step was having open heart surgery, the walking should be easy, I’ve done it for years.  Boy was I wrong, as I found I needed Jesus even more in my daily walk, as I had become more vulnerable to all types of aggressors, both spiritual, physical, and emotional.  It took Jesus to get me through the surgery, into a chair, and then out of bed and walk.  I have some insight as to the man whom Peter told to rise up and walk, but even more into Jesus when He says take up your cross and follow me.  Walk with me, lots of little steps, and grow in me.  It is always God who provides the growth, and has also laid out the path for us.  As the Good Shepherd He has gone before us and cleared the way, our part is in following, or being obedient.  And when the path gets dark, following Him in faith, because we know His voice and trust it.  Because of many small steps.
Jesus Christ is no one hit wonder.  Many today come and go in fame, sadly many newly saved Christians do too.  Take the giant leap of faith with Christ today, and then follow in small steps.  Many lead to long distances, for me it started as half the distance to first base, and ended up walking 1/4 of a mile.  No big deal to an athlete, but to an open heart patient, a marathon.  But I never walked alone, and still don’t today.  Let God guide your steps, and be the light for your path.  Don’t neglect the small steps for the famous large ones.  My one giant leap of faith in Christ has led to many small steps for me.  I hope you never know how good it feels to walk or ride a motorcycle again like I did after I couldn’t, but rest assured Jesus is there every step of the way.  We walk by faith, not by sight...the same faith that saved us will guide us in our daily walk.  Jesus Christ, it’s the small steps that make Him great.  What was the date of your giant leap?
love with compassion,
Mike
matthew25biker.blogspot.com