Tuesday, January 28, 2014

remember your first time









For me it was heading up Princeton Avenue, speeding out of Bill’s driveway, on his homebuilt-weren’t they all, mini-bike.  Later it was to be riding a converted Honda 50, after school in Ricky’s back yard, extending into the woods and riding along the brook that ran into Brookside Park.  Later it would be more mini-bikes, this one a factory job of Dave’s, and then BH’s CL77, painted dark blue with a brush.  But my first bike, my first motorcycle I owned was to be a 1972 CB350 Honda, gold and the coolest bike I had ever ridden.  Brand new!  When I first saw it in real life, parked among the CB750’s, and CB 500’s, it looked awesome, no way I wanted anything else but that one.  And so one afternoon cutting school early, I rode buddy seat with BH and off we went, riding the rest of the afternoon.  Going fast, but not being warned about break in, I didn’t care, as passing cars at 70mph made me feel fearless.  And free, a freedom never felt before.  And I could never see me on anything else except my Honda....until that fall, and the new bike issues came out.  And there it was, the answer to my longing for the open road.  The newest love affair in my life, the one who would take me places I had never heard of or knew anyone who had gone there.  And so with cash in hand, up to Sleger-Forbes I went, and put a down payment on a 1972 R60/5 BMW, now referred to as the “toaster tank” bikes.  But what to do with my Honda?  The bike I was so in love with, my first ride of my very own.  I was too young and too broke, and had no garage space for two bikes, and I was lucky my parents let me have one, they said so, so the Honda had to go.  And the ad was placed.
It was my first time selling anything, let alone a motorcycle, and the emotional ties were great.  Every time I thought about “was I doing the right thing?” all I had to do was look at the BMW flyer, even the ad was in blue like my new one, and the Honda seemed like a burden instead of my once prized ride.  And even short rides were bittersweet, as all I could think of was 600cc of Bavarian power, and going other places, but college, homework, girlfriends, and the Honda stood in the way.  Until one cold November afternoon, a long hair showed up, helmet in hand, and was interested.  One look and he knew it was better than advertised, could he take a ride?  And as I watched him cross Hetfield and go up Algonquin, he faded, and I missed the Honda.  Maybe I would tell him no, but when He came back, cold and smiling, and said, “I’ll take it,” I knew it was time.  Sold for $200 less then I had paid for it, where else can you have so much fun for a dollar a day, so I figured it was a good deal for  both of us, I had put almost 7000 miles on it in less than six months...and all I could see was BMW blue. And as I signed the title over, I had the rest of the money I needed.  Now all I needed was a ride, and nice weather.  But that would have to wait, and for almost 3 months I was without a motorcycle, a season that would only repeat itself one more time in the next 42 years-again weather being the deterrent.  My first bike, my first sale, my first time without a motorcycle.  And I was only 18...
The pastors and I talked the other night about the same people who go forward ever service.  Either to be saved again, or to rehash the same problem, or who knows what.  They are predictable, and when I said I could reach out and touch the shoulders of who was the next wave, we agreed.  For salvation is a one time event, you can’t lose it, although you can lay it aside.  You can’t lose Jesus, He never leaves you, in fact He was there long before you recognized Him and were saved.  But so many make it only an emotional relationship, and when they lose the feeling, go back for another hit.  A once a week fix that keeps them going until the next altar call, and they get excited again.  Much like your first ride, that you keep going back to, until another one comes along.  And you take more short rides, until the next faster and more exciting ride comes along, and suddenly the love is gone, the emotion is unfulfilled, and the next ride is now the current relief.  But unlike salvation, you can give up riding, but why I don’t know.  I have ridden through blizzards, unemployment, kids, marriage, sickness, and in times of no money...even in times of spiritual darkness before I met Jesus.  So I don’t buy into the excuses.  I knew when it was time to sell the CB350, it was the new owner’s turn, the BMW was calling.  But somehow with Jesus, it s different.  It was way beyond emotions, it was deeper than words.  And I knew I could never go back.
When I listen to those who talk about coming back to Jesus, it seems an emotion led them there at first, and an emotion took them back.  Despite the warnings of not trusting your feelings, or your own understanding, or being told the heart can be deceived, and can be wicked, so many go with their emotions.  Jesus is just the current fix for a feeling, or lack of one.  But real salvation is more, it comes from within, and is shown from without.  It is a change of heart, not a change of motorcycles.  You see motorcycling to me is a passion, no matter how many or what bike I am riding, but Jesus is a passion, no matter what else comes to entice me.  It goes deeper than feelings, and deeper than words.  It is the true relationship with the God of the universe, our creator.  And although I may go forward for prayer, I always will have Jesus.  He hangs onto me when riding, He held my heart through open heart surgery, and He holds my family together in times I can’t .  He loves me despite my emotions, He loves me through my attitudes, and He can see what is on my mind and heart through the leathers and my full face Arai.  And if I feel melancholy, I can look back to my first time with Him, and it goes deeper than any emotion.  I may change bikes, but I will never, and never have changed my Lord.  So where do you stand with God today?  is it more than an emotional relationship, or is it too deep for words?  Does it feel like your first ride, or was He a ride you took once, then sold for something better, faster, or newer?  Do you really miss the things you gave up to serve Him, or do you go back occasionally, backsliding until the next altar call?  Do you really remember your first time?  Or your last?
It hurt to sell the Honda, but the BMW made me quickly forget.  And it would repeat itself over the years more than 30 times.  New love, and then a newer love.  But one time 38 years ago I made Jesus my Lord and Savior.  And have never looked back.  But He has guided me, and led me to places I never knew about, taken me places I could never have gone without Him.  And soon I will be in heaven, where I could not go without Him.  Saved once, I will live forever.  No matter what I ride.  But I will always remember the day when I sold the Honda, and it went up the street with a new owner.  Just like when I gave my heart to Jesus.  I never wanted to look back, the roads were so promising ahead.  Where your eyes go, you will follow.  So keep your eyes on Jesus, a hope and a future.  No matter what you ride....make Him and heaven your destination.  Once and for all.
love with compassion,
Mike
matthew25biker.blogspot.com