Tuesday, April 28, 2015

close to you-so get ready










One of the major discussions at my first real summer job, working for the Union County Park Commission cleaning iris beds, was musical in nature.  At 16 most of us knew it all, hence the nature of our first job, but when it came to music, we had different views.  We may not have known it all, but we knew what we liked.  It is 1969, great names from music like Tommy James and the Shondells, The Archies, whose song “Sugar, Sugar,” outsold The Stones “Honky Tonk Woman,” The Grass Roots, The Doors, Temptations, Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, even the Beatles!  What an exciting time for music, and to be a kid, sorry adult, we were working now, and have some folding green in our wallets.  All $64 of it before taxes!  But having different views, and having a radio to listen to, most of the time it was on WABC, listening to Cousin’ Brucie, and then to a small station from Newark, which I cannot remember the call letters of.  We would each get a turn for 30 minutes, and although I thought I was sophisticated in my music choices, that small Newark station became too much.  I loved Motown, this was Newark, same riots as Detroit two years earlier, but with no soul.  I liked the harmonies, and sang along to the Carpenter’s “Close to You.”  Which drove the fine musical ears of the others nuts.  “How can you listen to that?  You can’t dance to it?”  And when we changed stations, they would look like the Temptations with rakes and shovels moving/working to the music.  “How can you listen to that?  You can’t make out to that?”  And so the battle raged on... Rare Earth’s hit “Get Ready” vs. “Close to You.”   Sometimes the conversations were heated, sometimes comical, we all would laugh.  But when it affected our work, Tony our boss turned off the radio.  And I can still see guys like both the Freds, and Kyle Looney Boy still dancing with their rakes, while I sang.  We were having fun, and although I liked Rare Earth, would not admit it.  I even caught one of the Fred’s telling how his girlfriend liked The Carpenters, I am sure such musical sacrifices would be made in the name of love.  But it was all done in fun, it was entertaining, and 46 years later I still don’t like iris.  But I love The Carpenters, no voice ever like Karen’s, listen to “Superstar,” recorded on the first take, reading the words off of a napkin...the lady has soul.  And when I hear “Get Ready” by Rare Earth, or the original from The Temptations, I want to move and dance like my old work mates did, at least in my mind.  They had soul....
Our paths would intertwine over the years, and we had the bond of that summer.  Our first jobs, from different high schools in different towns, different backgrounds,and different music.  But when we met, we would always go back to the music....and argue and laugh.  I often wonder if we ever knew how special that first job, new friends, and arguing over music would be.  I still listen to music, but not like before.  No radio on my bikes, and rarely am I in a car.  So my old 37 year turntable plays the hits occasionally.  My collection of albums, over 300 stopping in 1975, the year I got saved.  Music changed that year for me, or so I thought, really it was me.  My outlook became different looking through life from Jesus’ perspective, and Christian music was all new.  Daniel Amos, Second Chapter of Acts, Parable, and John Fischer....but I still loved the oldies.  And still listen to them today.  Much to the chagrin of some Christians, who think I am blasphamous-I am, but with style, decadent, I am but with rhythm, and a bad witness...not enough legalism I guess.  But I sing Jesus words to the oldies sometimes, my own style of worship, and a trip down memory lane without critics.  The words to “Close to You” remind me of meeting Jesus, how he longs to be close to me, and you.  “On the day when you were born the angels got together....”  says so right here in the gospels.  And what better harmony than harmony in the spirit.  And whether it be the Temptations, or Rare Earth, “Get Ready” reminds me to be ready, to look up for the day of his return is closer everyday.  “I’m bringin’ you a lover’s tune, so get ready...” and I can see my friends moving to the music, in perfect harmony.  You see Jesus brings harmony into our lives, we have a part to sing with him, and when we become one with him, the song is wonderful.  The tune perfect, and the words mean something.  For what was just a song when unsaved, now the words have meaning.  So it should come as no surprise that so many old love songs can be sung to the Lord.  For if music if the language of love, play on.  And when Jesus is that language of love, the songs never end.  He is the music we long for, and the tunes we live by.  So of course we sing...and he loves it.  Worship he calls it, and when it comes from the heart, he gets Close to You-so Get Ready!
And so our music is personal, like it is with our relationship with God.  I like the old hymns, I also like much of the new Christian music.  My taste is varied, my love for God isn’t.  It cannot match how much he loves us, and did while we were yet sinners.  As I was that summer in 1969.  My life and music changed when I met Jesus, and today I sing a new song...one of life and love.  So maybe music is the language of love, but Jesus is the music.  And all can say to that is “play on!”
Whether 8-track, cassette, album, or CD, let the music of Jesus play on forever in your life.  But the best tunes I hear are from his heart to mine, making the songs come alive.  Songs of love, songs that win a man’s heart, that worship the King, and remind me of how life changed when Jesus entered it.  If he has entered your life, you know what I mean, if not, I welcome you to meet him, to hear music in perfect harmony.  Songs that will make you want to dance with joy, or sing with reverence.  Songs once sung alone, but now a duet, with the Lord.  So Get Ready-Jesus wants to be Close to You.  Looking at the Billboard Top 100 for 1969, so many songs were love songs.  Songs about love, which now have a special meaning because I met the one who is love.  Call it a lesson learned in the iris beds of life...pretty smart for a 16 year old, huh?
love with compassion,
Mike
matthew25biker.blogspot.com