Thursday, January 14, 2016

kick stands up-Mikey down








In the beginning, from your very first two wheel experience, you have become familiar with them.  No matter what size, what brand, or even how it is powered, all two wheeled conveyances, except for certain race bikes have one.  Different lengths, colors, even chromed, the only serve one function, and do it very well if used properly.  We know them as kickstands or side stands, on bikes which have a center stand, an old time standard, which disappeared for a while, but is making a comeback.  Designed to support your bike at rest, many a kickstand has been warn down or off by fast riding.  On a Harley they can be used to determine maximum lean angle while parked, can serve as a warning you are leaning too far on others, and can suspend anything from a half ton Gold Wing to your 50 pound Schwinn.  They are marvelous in simplicity, yet in their functioning when coming in contact with humans can be disastrous.
BMW, and also Guzzi a long time ago into the 1970’s, used a retractable spring loaded side stand.  As soon as you leaned off it, it retracted, and more than one riding expert fell prey to it, pun intended.  Some excuse about a European law where they must retract, my friend Leonard can testify how dangerous they are if you ride off with it down, his Honda 360 catching and throwing him off his bike when he forgot to retract it.  So maybe BMW had something here, all I know is they were a pain in the, well you get it.  I one time had one fail on a press bike, a new Daytona, when it failed to lock in place, and I fell over on it, at zero mph.  Sustaining minimal damage to the bike, maximum to the ego of the rider.  “How can you ride so fast, yet park so lousy?”  Not enough speed, I guess.  And we all know of, have been, or heard of the guy who parked it uphill, and the bike fell over when it rolled forward.  The law of gravity aided by stupidity will win out every time.  But my most memorable sidestand incident was an accident, and truly not my fault.
I was sitting on a new Yamaha Vision at Handlebar Cycle.  Lined up with other Yams and Hondas, it was new, so I sat on it, to see how it felt.  Getting of, I made sure the side stand was down, a lesson taught to me when first riding, and also as a 5 time BMW owner, and proceeded to get off.  When the sidestand buckled, and broke off, and down I went, wedged between two bikes, and then the whole line of twelve proceeded to fall against each other, all in a straight line.  Just like a chorus line, call it kickstands up-Mikey’s down, and he was.  And was about to endure verbal abuse until the cause was seen, and apologies offered.  Perhaps the classic “someday you’ll look back on this and laugh” day of my life.  And a hello and a warning greeted me each time I entered the shop.  “What are you gonna fall off today?”  Such a simple theory and design, so handy but yet so dangerous all at once.
Just like the tongue, James tells us.  That it can both bless God, but curse man made in his image.  A not oft quoted scripture for faith building, but should be, as we all have done it, proving scripture to be correct.  Remember that the next time you doubt.  And it can be misused many ways, as we are also told the spirit gives us words when we need them.  Yet I have seen unsaved men run off by zealous evangelicals who rather argue.  Who only quote, or rather misquote God for their own ego.  Attending a friend’s funeral with other bikers, this pastor took the attitude he had us and he was going to tell us about Jesus.  For a full hour...and only reminded us why we don’t like going to church.  And sadly, his audience was all Christians, who evangelize better while riding than he did hiding behind a pulpit.  Why can Billy Graham speak 5 minutes and many get saved, yet pastors think they have to fill a time slot, bringing reality to the joke, “who keeps talking after people quit listening?”  “Pastors.”  Amen.
But one event I can verify that the spirit gives words to is at a Hollister Rally one year. The Boozefighters had just written  a book of their history and I wanted one.  Stopping at their booth, I met JQ, co-author and National Historian for the club.  He saw my Christian colors and immediately put me in a headlock.  “I’m glad I found you,” he said, “you’re a Christian and I have a question.  Can God make a rock so big he cannot pick it up?”  With all my spiritual theological juices flowing, I was in immediate evangelizing mode, but the words that came out were from the spirit, not my ego.  “You don’t ask God stupid questions like that.”  And he backed off, telling me it was a great answer, he was going to tell others.  And we became friends.  My 15 minute self induced answer had been short cutted by the spirit, and gave him the answer he needed.  A good thing to remember, in a headlock or not.  A lesson to remember, you can control your mouth, but you cannot control your hearing.  And scripture tells us to he who has an ear let him hear, not he who has a mouth let him speak.  Unless it is to amen that remark.
So the tongue like the kickstand has been designed for a purpose.  But when misused can get us in trouble.  Something to remember next time someone announces kickstands up, remember Mikey down.  Or Leonard crashing.  Or the fool parking against the grade of hill.  Just how far you lean may depend on that simple invention, while others exceed it, you never should when stopped, and parked.  We laugh when we look back at the 12 bikes falling on me, now at least.  I wonder how I would have been received by JQ if I had gotten theological?  Jesus knew, and still knows what we need.  He is the answer to every question.  And one last note for a refresher course.
In 25 words or less describe the gospel?  John 3:16, simple and accurate.  Something to note next time you get too wordy, or attend a funeral.  Or you just may find me riding off early, kick stand up of course.  By the way, they also make good cornering reminders....at least until they are worn off.
love with compassion,
Mike
matthew25biker.blogspot.com