Wednesday, August 10, 2016

a day in the life of a service advisor














I spent the last 10 years of my professional life as a service advisor and service manager for Mercedes Benz and Land Rover.  And in that position I dealt with all types of people, and all types of car problems.  Some real and some imagined.  But never were there any boring days, and never was there any lack of broken cars.  And an opportunity to meet interesting people.  And somewhere along the way I learned that we not only fixed cars, but fixed people who owned them too.  With the car being the easy part, stupid takes longer, if can be fixed at all, and the scars from it never heal.
At one time Mercedes Benz owners represented the upper 2% of wage earners, but by 2003 that had changed, up to 10 year financing, and we began to see many older cars that should have been retired being brought in by younger people, bragging they owned a Mercedes, when they could barely afford a Chevy.  But I tried to treat them all the same, with dignity and honesty, but with mixed results.  Sometimes I just reported the problem, other times I had to insist upon the repair, while sadly a few times I would advise the car was not worth fixing.  And of the three, telling them the repairs exceeded the value of the car was the hardest.  Sometimes it worked in reverse, the more I tried to advise them to junk the car, the deeper they got into their pockets.  An emotional tie or burst of ego made them want to fix it, like they almost had to or else.  Like I said the customer base was changing, the older ones expecting to spend at least $1000 per visit, and having a trusting relationship with you, while one time a woman burst into tears over a bill for $150 for brakes, “I have no money,” for brakes?  Maybe one less latte at Nordie’s....Which left a group that was always trying to impress you, they demanded things be fixed prematurely, one yo-yo engineer demanded we replace his starter and alternator, both working fine, because a co-worker had problems with those on his Toyota of the same year. Huh?  Fixing cars was easy after him.  Then there was the older couple who came in on Fridays with a specious problem, a rattle that only occurred to them, and would demand a free loaner car, which they got.  More than once I confronted them about the gas receipts in the rental from going to Vegas in our car, they just wanted a free car for the weekend, newer and nicer than theirs, and not putting miles on their car also.  How stupid did they think we were?
But one thing that surprised me at first, and then became pretty standard was the owner’s knowledge of their car.  And woman always knew more about their car than men, they read the owner’s manual, asked questions and stayed on top of maintenance.  They kept you on your toes, and were much easier to deal with.  They read the book...I guess we men are too busy to.  With of course the exception to the rule concerning the manual and the new owner.  He had just bought a new E class, and after 3 days found over 40 problems with the car.  He was demanding a buy back immediately, and they sent him to me.  For two hours he wasted my time, and with each complaint found he hadn’t listened to the salesman at delivery, never read the owners manual, and found he couldn’t afford the payments, which only took him 3 days to figure out.  Not one of his complaints was valid, my favorite was “ in park it won’t rev past 4000 rpm,” why would you want to while going nowhere?  And it was designed not to exceed that rpm in park.  Ohhh...He left, his ego bruised, his car fine, not sure about his payments.  
At one time I was one of 17 service advisors at MB, and also the busiest.  I had built up a great customer base, I listened, told the truth, and was dependable.  With one trait the others didn’t find time to do.  For every car under me in the shop, the customer got a daily phone call.  They didn’t have to wait for me, I called them.  Letting moms know early to keep the loaner, so they could get the kids at school.  Keeping a big repair customer up to date on the progress and the bill, and changes as needed.  I found the less number of surprises they found out the hard way, the easier my job was, and I could let the tech do his.  With the frequent updates we also got to know each other, the more we talked, I became a familiar voice, and they grew to trust me.  “Take your car to Mike, you can trust him...” how many times have you not heard that in a repair shop?  Remember we are fixing people too...
In case you haven’t noticed, God is and has been in the people fixing business for a long time.  And based on some I see, his job is one I don’t want.  Think of it a minute, look at his customers-us.  The hours he keeps, with no breaks in between.  Good thing he isn’t in a union.  His own book, written about him to help with life, is misquoted and lazily read.  Where anyone can twist his words for their own good...far too often.  Most of his communications with us is one sided, he listens, but we never give him a chance to answer, and if we don’t like his advice, well Oprah knows better.  He is truthful, can be reached at any time, yet avoided skillfully.  The ultimate advisor, the wonderful counselor of Jesus, the comforter of the spirit, and at prices you can afford-free.  Yet we don’t listen...I think I know the feeling.
But he has one thing compared to cars that no company could ever offer.  We have warranties, extended warranties, and even limited high mileage warranties, but no life time warranty.  Except in Christ.  Available to all at birth, many take advantage of it early, and are born again.  Some after expensive and extensive repairs, sign up and are saved.  Some wait, until they are done having fun, and may have waited too long.  But in all cases have the choice to accept or deny Jesus as the son of God, as deity.  And God’s offer is good until our dying breath, which we don’t know when it will happen.  The other fact being 100% of us will die, and we can choose our eternal destination now.  And yet some still say no....
I have found in cars as well as with God, good advice only works if taken.  And stupid still hurts, when it doesn’t have too.  I used to tell my customers that maintenance is expensive, but repairs from lack of it is even worse.  Let God into your life, listen to the spirit’s advise, and avoid a breakdown.  Which is always more expensive.  I would never promise you a perfect life, just as I wouldn’t a perfect car, we aren’t perfect, but our creator knows what we need, and can fix anything.  And everything.  Even broken hearts.  And at prices you can afford.  Check into God’s warranty today, called forgiveness, and be set free from sin and eternal death.  Enjoy the ride here on earth.  Not everyone can afford a Mercedes Benz, you may be a Toyota that needs fixing.  Long before Toyota promised you “oh what a feeling!” Jesus died for your sins.  Experience his love and forgiveness today, and forever.  Fixing people is what he does best.  Now about that rattle in the dash, have you considered turning up the volume on the radio?
love with compassion,
Mike
matthew25biker.blogspot.com