Friday, September 23, 2016

stupid answers-who said there are no stupid questions?




















I can remember running my first auto repair shop, and being the one who answered the phone.  The idea was to keep the owner working on cars, which he rather do, make more money, which he wanted to do, and get better organized, which he needed to do.  But with one phone and a large lot, it seemed the farther away from the phone, the more often it rang.  And while some would ring 4-5 times before hanging up, the farther away, it was almost as if they knew just when you were getting close and hung up.  And then invariably would call back a few minutes later, pulling the same stunt, and when finally making contact were upset at you for not answering the first time.  And it was always something real important, like “can I come by and have you check my oil?”  “Are you busy?” No, I had to answer the phone anyway.  But not all conversations that started on the phone ended that way.  Some would come by, “I called, no answer, figured you were closed,” so why did you come by?  Seems there are no stupid questions, remember that one from high school, but many stupid answers.  Like the woman who came by, after calling, her check engine light was on.  “I looked and the engine was there, make that light turn off.”  Gee, if you are so smart, you turn it off.  Another woman called on her cell, her low oil light was on, actually it is an out of oil light, could she come by?  When I told her no, pull over now or risk engine damage, she said “I’ll be there in 20 minutes.  I’m too busy to stop now.”  Her car took nine quarts, in an engine that held eight, go figure.  So why ask, if you don’t want an answer? 
One of my favorites is “can you look at my car?”  “Sure, just park it out front so I can see it.”  “Why do tires weigh so much?”  “Because they have 35 pounds of air in them.”  So if I want them to weigh less, do I let air out?  And remember years ago when Nissan had a door warning system, that when your car door was left open told you “your door is ajar,” to which one man wanted to  know if that was some sort of Japanese code word, he couldn’t find any jars in his car.  As he drove down the street his door not latched properly, but I do hear this rattle.....
So I got better at phone answering, and fielding questions, which got better as I got to the dealership level.  “My car makes a noise all the time.”  “Is it doing it now?”  No.” “Well then it isn’t all the time.”  Sometimes you could get to the root of the problem, sometimes they thought you were calling them stupid, wasn’t the evidence enough?  But often I could get to the problem, by asking questions, and then we could fix it.  And they were appreciative.  But other times, it was your fault.  Try to explain that you didn’t design the car, you didn’t build it, you didn’t sell it, and that all you want to do is fix it?  And in our glorious state, you can request any parts you pay for.  Except oil.  Which is why it was asked for, just to make sure you changed it.  “No sir, we have a huge barrel of used oil, you can draw your own.” 
But my favorite was a woman who was taking a trip up north.  She wanted her car in tip top shape, and was a long time customer of the Mercedes Benz dealership in La Jolla I worked for.  Old, but still driving, I asked where she was going, my thought she was too old to drive.  “Del Mar,” all of 12 miles away.  I hope she took a long an overnight bag for the trip.  So along with being repairmen, counselors, and being worn out from answering the phone, or enduring stupid questions, please, if you don’t like the answer, don’t blame me.  I only work here.
As a Christian I get asked many questions, and some I know, most I don’t, but I will find out.  And it is OK to say “I don’t know.”  That’s the truth.  Some show a great satisfaction as if they have trapped you, while others quote scripture endlessly, never answering the question asked, and running the person off.  But one of my pet peeves, still not sure why they are called that, is the growing number of Christians who ask me for prayer.   After asking many others, shopping for the answer they desire, instead of the truth from God.  Yesterday a woman was telling me “she was waiting on God,” still not sure what that means, but to me it means you probably have the answer and you didn’t like it.  Or you are hoping a better one comes along, as if God has time to play a game with you.  So I often answer, are you waiting or delaying?  Waiting is knowing the answer, just for the time to enact it.  Delaying is knowing the answer and not acting on it.  She was busted in delaying.  She probably won’t ask me to pray for her again.  But why ask me, or any other person when you have access God all the time?  Jesus is a 24/7 God, he works the graveyard shift too.  We say it’s personal, why don’t you just ask God? 
I also get requests for money, sometimes begging, “if we don’t raise enough we can’t go on the trip.”    Well, sometimes the answer is no, you aren’t going, and why are you asking me when I don’t have any money?  So you can blame me if you don’t go?  It has happened.  Why not ask God who has great riches and wealth, and can provide all your needs through Christ Jesus.  Who when he needed a coin, grabbed a fish and took one out of its mouth.  Yet how many spend/waste so much time fund raising, when Jesus just sent out his disciples with whatever they had in their coats?  And all their needs were met? 
More stupid questions, why do some seek to know the day of the rapture, the scripture plainly says Jesus doesn’t even know, and he is the one making the trip?  Do you think God will tell you something he won’t tell his son?  Or have you found the only scripture you wish to prove wrong?  And they consider that ministering the gospel.    Consider this, if you did know, who are you going to tell, we will be in heaven and it won’t matter?  So maybe there are stupid questions, and yes, there are stupid answers too.
So maybe a small bit of advice is on order here.  I used to field phone calls from those who diagnosed their car over the internet.  When asked what did I think, my answer became “right click and fix it.”  Some laughed, some got mad, some got it.  You see, I would explain, “the tools are here, the techs are here, the parts are here, the diagnostics are here.  Only your car isn’t.  We can’t fix it over the phone.  We need it here.”  Works with God too, he has the tools, he has the expertise, he has the parts, the finances, and the diagnostics.  He just doesn’t have you.  He needs you here, with him.  So talk directly to him, no interpreter needed.  Or appointments.  You may have to wait, it is his schedule for repairs, but don’t delay.  Quit calling friends looking for the answer you want, Jesus is the only answer you need.  Why seek out a man when you can have Jesus?  And your answer is....
Oh and by the way, if you think maintenance is expensive, if you don’t maintain your car, repairs are even more expensive.  Spend more time with God, as the ad says “pay me now, or pay me later?”  If only I had spent time with the Lord...I wonder?
love with compassion,
Mike
matthew25biker.blogspot.com