Thursday, January 19, 2017

Chino's Triumph








Before Bruce Brown stunned the world with “On Any Sunday,” the only motorcycle movies we had were biker films.  Films where we were portrayed as the bad guys, we’re not, anti-social, we aren’t, and only caring about our motorcycles, we do.  Sorta.  But three movies were my experience outside of riding a Honda 50, “The Wild One,” “Easy Rider,” and “Little Fauss and Big Halsey.”  From The Wild One I learned about brotherhood, and the importance of a friend having your back, from Easy Rider the hook for touring the US of A on two wheels was set, and Little Fauss and Big Halsey brought me into the world of racing, actually the world of racing not on the track.  But On Any Sunday changed all that, and where I wanted to be tough like Johnny, intrespective and idealistic like Wyatt, and a lover like Halsey, after OAS I really wanted to be cool like Steve McQueen.  We all wanted to be cool like Steve.  While Steve wanted to be cool like Bud Ekins......
But in real life I found myself more like the supporting actors, I was more wild like Chino, let’s ride and party, I was wilder like Billy, for the same reasons, and more Little Fauss than Big Halsey, as I was compassionate and had a lot of friends who were girls.  I found that they really were the stars, they made the hero the hero by just being themselves, And even though Johnny rode his own Triumph in the movie, yesterday I got a look inside the type of bike Chino rode, and found myself riding on Chino’s Triumph.
Now Chino rode a bobbed Harley in the film, and yesterday I rode the first press bike Triumph Bonneville Bobber in the states.  And suddenly I was so cool I couldn’t handle it, almost.  And its performance, from handling and speed belied it cool look, at first I wanted to stop and be admired, then I found I didn’t want to stop, I was having too much fun riding. Funny how the biker world has come full circle, back in the day the only choppers you used to see were Triumphs, no one chopped Harleys, yet Harley is the chosen bike among builders to chop today.  And while Harleys were bobbed, now Triumph offers one from the factory.  For less than you can build one.  With a warranty, and it is fast, handles great, and is comfortable.  My experience with custom bikes was they were great to look at, but not much to ride.  Now I want one....am I just fickle or losing my mind?  Maybe I should ask myself what would Steve do?  His answer didn’t help me much, if only I had his money....
But that would put me out front, and I prefer to live in the background, I see more, travel my own pace, and ride my own ride.  You can have the fame and fortune, remember Steve used to race under the pseudonym of Harvey Mushman to escape fans.  And so like Chino and Billy and Little, I prefer to play second fiddle to the real star, and found out it works best in my Christian walk.  At one time I sought the spotlight, wanted to be the center of attention, to share my testimony mostly of what I was before Jesus came into my life, but found it was all about me.  And the joy just wasn’t there.  So some time back, influenced by the spirit, I decided to sit in the back row, to listen rather than talk, and see rather than be seen.  My religion included Jesus, but was all about me.  But when I repented and let it be all about him, the blessings flowed, and I began to live.  To see things how Jesus sees them, and fell in love with the holy spirit.  Suddenly church wasn’t enough, and I found some pastors were why the parishioners attended.  I grew suspicious of ministries that had the man’s name in it, and were always asking for money.  I found that like Johnny and Captain America, everyone was watching me, I had become like a Pharisee, lots of rules but not a lot of love.  I needed to change my riding style in life or I was going to crash, plus I found I really wasn’t enjoying being a Christian any more.  I knew the scriptures, knew the pastor, and even ministered.  Even said it in Jesus’ name, just not by his spirit.  He was my savior, I just hadn’t included the Lord part, yet.  But when I did, my yoke became easy, the Bible came alive and so did Jesus in my life.  I was born again, again, by his spirit.  Not by power, not by might, not by religion, and not by any church.  By his spirit, saith the Lord.  Quote him on that.
So riding Chino’s Triumph yesterday reminded me how far motorcycles and the world of it have come.  That it isn’t important what you ride, but that you ride.  But how you ride shows more about you than your bike.  And I found myself to be a Chino, to be like Billy, and like Little, who enjoyed riding so much that all the rest of the benefits were added on.  I was reminded how blessed I am to ride for the Triumph Press Fleet, the dealers don’t get their Bobbers for another two weeks.  And how when I shared the Bobber with others, they were blessed.  And how when I live my life for Jesus, I am blessed, and so are the ones I come in contact with.  By his spirit, not any plan, program, procedure, or after attending a meeting.  God has given me a passion for motorcycles, and for Jesus, and I am blessed.  And when the words from my mouth give testimony to Jesus, I am blessed even more.  Jesus, Theresa, and motorcycles, it just don’t get any better.  You see Jesus is cooler than Steve ever was, and I can ride seven days a week, just not on any Sunday.  My rides are easy when I put him first, and Big or Little, the size of my Lord’s love for me is always bigger than whatever I am riding.
Of course if you don’t ride you won’t understand, or if you aren’t saved or stuck in religion you miss out too.  I want all the performance I can get from my God, and only Jesus fills that need.  Yesterday’s ride on Chino’s Triumph reminded me.  Today I am reminded that the rain falls on the just and the unjust as it is pouring and I cannot ride.  But if anyone asks, Theresa will tell you where I can be found, in the garage. Even Chino knew to stay in out of the rain.....time to dig out my old leather jacket and shine it up, but not too much.  The Bonneville Bobber, for me it reminds me of Jesus, everything I need, and nothing I don’t.
love with compassion,
Mike
matthew25bikr.blogspot.com