Wednesday, April 5, 2017

choosing your lines better
















On our 2007 Torches Across America ride, it was almost 100 degrees out by the time we hit Victorville, on a day that would see see 124 on the temp gauge in Needles, a place I still can find no use for.  But in spite of the heat we all made it, with only a few of the less hearty not complaining.  Each year our ride group was different, and this year a battalion chief from San Diego fire and a group of his men, almost a dozen in all rode with us.  Their first Torches, and the excitement showed via all the questions they asked.  My third, I thought I knew what to expect...
Riding up Cajon Pass it was hot and the traffic moving slow, when looking in my mirror to my right I saw bikes suddenly veering right, horns honking, brakes squealing and my adrenaline kicked in.  What was going on behind me?  For a moment I was in a self preservation mode, as we all pulled over, all 50 of us or so, and “what happened?” was our opening line.  When the Chief stepped forward, he had accidently hit his kill button, and didn’t realize what had happened, so was pulling over to check his bike out.  His battalion riding with him, instinctively followed him, without looking they pulled over with him, almost causing a catastrophic accident.  They were doing as they had so many times before in the face of danger, following their leader, and when he suddenly pulled over, they did too.  Such devotion and trust is admirable, but not on a group ride in heavy traffic.  We look back now and laugh, we chided them all across the US on the ride about it, but the thought still stays with me, who do you trust that much you will follow them no matter what?
I am constantly reminding people to ride your own ride.  Yet when riding with new guys the first time feel I must keep up with them, or them with me.  On one such afternoon, I had warned Peter over and over, “don’t try to keep up with me, I know this road,”  and I thought he had, but after five minutes had passed, and no Peter, I turned around and retraced my route.  The red pickup on the side of the road told me more than I needed to know, Peter was down.  Back aways further, they had seen him go down behind them, get up and were waiting for me to return.  Riding back a bit farther, Peter was up and OK, he overshot a turn, and used the weeds to slow himself down, dropping the bike.  Damaged but rideable, both bike and rider made it home safely, but he had tried to keep up, just like the chief’s battalion did, only with disastrous results.
When I ride a road for the first time, I watch those ahead of me and the lines they take in the curves.  At my pace, since you are never sure how well the guy you are chasing can ride.  So I am getting better after all these years at choosing lines better.  And each time I ride the same road again get better, knowing my entrance speed will effect my exit speed, which should be faster I hope.  I have an exit I practice on, the sign warns of a 35 mph speed limit, I try to take it at 80, and can do it safely, if not a bit excitedly.  But I have done it so many times I know the road, and can accelerate through it, while some get in the traffic jam behind me.  But it has taken years, I have reached my limit for that section, so don’t try to keep up with me in it.  Choose your own lines, and improve on them each time you ride.  Enjoying the ride more, for we all know God invented curves for motorcyclists!
Acts 19 tells of the 7 sons of Skeva, who bought into a line, hearing the name of Jesus administered by the apostles and the miracles that occurred, and thinking they could so the same thing.  For profit.  Only to find the gospel doesn’t work that way.  There is power in the name of Jesus just like the scriptures tell, but only in the spirit is that power revealed.  Which they found out, when approaching a man known to have demons in him.  They commanded him to come out in the name of Jesus, and the demon questioned them, “I know of Jesus, and have heard of Paul, but who are you?”  And came out as they commanded, but beat them severely, sending them running away naked and bloody.  If choosing better lines in riding makes you a better rider, choosing better lines when a Christian will help also.  They were trying to ride, to live someone else’s ride, and found out you cannot or you will have a surprise ending.  We need the faith and trust the battalion men did, but with the leading of the spirit.  We need to know we have all we need in Jesus, exemplified by his spirit.  For God also tells us, “not by might, not by power, but by my spirit,”  we like the power and might part, Jesus likes the spirit part better.  A better line to choose in any and all situations.  A Biblical story included for our own benefit, for the scripture is for teaching, reproof, instruction, and to rebuke.  Words on a page to the unsaved, a gift from a loving father to those who are in Christ.  Read it, but apply it too.  
And when entering a curve too fast, take Kenny Roberts advice, lean more and more.  Works with Jesus too, in over your head, lean on him, for his yoke, the thing that binds us too him, the spirit is easy.  Trust God and enjoy the ride more!  Trust King Kenny for riding tips, Jesus for living.  There are names, and there are names to follow.
So choose your lines better, enjoy life more, and be blessed more.  One result is the happier you are, the more you spread it on to others.  Blessings are contagious, so is the spirit.  Ride in it today, and watch how it changes you and others around you.  Any good racer walks the track before the race, we have the spirit to walk us through the human race.  Faith like the battalion, but power under control on the chief’s part would have helped too.  He did as he was trained, get out of danger, only his men followed him blindly and caused danger.  Riding is believing, so is seeing.  Faith is the proof of things not seen, but heard.  From screeching brakes to the smell of rubber, to the sound of sirens, ride your own ride in Christ.  His lines are best for each situation.  You just gotta figure that any guy that can ride for 2000 years like he has without crashing must know something. 
love with compassion,
Mike
matthew25biker.blogspot.com