Tuesday, June 6, 2017

engine sizes not found on the clock





















 It was while watching the clock, waiting for a friend who was always late, that my mind started wandering.  At 302, nothing, but at 327, I started thinking of the great Chevy small block.  350 reminded me, and at 400, I thought of Pontiac’s 400, at 402 the misnamed 396, and other great motors.  413, 426, and 440 reminded me of Mopar power, 454 Chevy again, 455 Pontiac, Buick, and Oldsmobile.  With each minute that went by, certain ones reminded me of the pre-metric days, when a number was mentioned and you knew the car and its manufacturer. 401 for a big AMC motor, 427 meant Vette power, 429 like my Cadillac motor, and 430, an old Ford motor used in Lincolns.  Y-blocks of 312 and 352. Famous AMC sixes of 232 and 258.  The 425 that powered the first Rivieras, and 406, 427, 428, and 429’s from Ford.  Like them, my mind was racing, and still no sign of my friend.  Which reminded me of sizes not found on the digital clock.
There were no 394 Olds engines, no 273, 289, or even 265 or 283 Chevy motors. No 360 Mopar or AMC, no 383 or 472 Cadillac motors, all like my friend not showing on the clock.  How good those numbers used to sound, The Beach Boys sand of a 409, no romance in a 7.0 litre of Ford’s.  But getting back to waiting to ride, in cc’s, many motorcycle engines were memorable.  Mention 650, you knew it was a Triumph.  1200 meant the big Harley.  350-550-750 meant Hondas, 850 talked of Moto Guzzi, 903 meant only one thing, the Z-1.  All great bikes filled with great memories, but again those missing like my friend.  185 Suzuki’s, 160 and 175 Hondas, 860 Ducati’s, another Suzuki 380, and while Kawasaki’s 636, even my three tigers, 800, 955, and 1050, all were reflected digitally, 883 Sportsters, and 675 Daytonas left out.  The numbers on the clock reflected the time, but the numbers took me back in time, to memories of great times associated with great friends surrounded by great motors in great cars.  Just kicking back then, looking back gave them a whole new meaning.  Even rear end numbers, 354, 411’s, and 413’s rekindled memories, it seemed no matter what time was shown, another time was reflected.  Oh to smell the smell of burning rubber one more time, the squeal of tires, and of the fun we once had.  All because my friend hadn’t show up on time....
Mention Psalm 23, John 3:16, or Romans 3:23 and almost any Bible reading believer will identify with them.  Numbers he can relate to, scriptures that appeal to his heart.  But yet many times we only remember that which we are taught, in 42 years I have never heard more than a spattering of Leviticus taught, and never Song of Solomon.  Both included in scripture, but not on the top 10 list.  How many have read 1 John 3:16, and relate it to God?  Romans 8, another on the list.  Psalm 1, an early teaching that God still applies to me today.  While many can tell you Matthew 6:33, how many can tell you Matthew 25?  Where it talks about us, and was the inspiration God gave me for ministry?  We read of Noah in Genesis 6-9, but what happened in chapter 11 that we need to know about?  The first Proverb I remember reading was 16:22, read it and see if it means anything to you, it does to me.  But in the process, we take verses from chapters, and let the meaning be interpreted by us, rather than letting the spirit apply it our lives.  James 5 tells of the righteous man and his prayer, yet Romans reveals we are all sinners, falling short of being righteous.  What are we to believe? 
Today a verse in Hosea, in the Old Testament, tells me so.  “I am the LORD your God, who rescued you from your slavery in Egypt. You have no God but me, for there is no other savior. I took care of you in the wilderness, in that dry and thirsty land. But when you had eaten and were satisfied, then you became proud and forgot me.”— Hosea 13: 4-6  See, we are all mentioned in the OT.  Maybe there is more to scripture than what I am/was taught in church.  Is it possible that by following the spirit’s leading, I can go deeper than ever before?  Think for a minute, if you can go that long, we all study the Bible, but when was the last time you just picked it up to read?  Without study, but just reading it like a letter from a friend, which it is, from God to you.  Maybe see Jesus come alive instead of just study material, for the only reason we study is to pass the test, then it is forgotten.  But how often reading a letter from a friend, are the words tenderly remembered.  Isn’t God’s word worthy of that intimacy?  You study to find yourself approved, but by who?  Does Jesus grade our relationship with him by how much we know?  Do we neglect the spirit who gives us words when we need them?  Do we trust what we know more than who we know? 
Try this on for size, later pick up your Bible and just open it up.  Start reading and see where the spirit takes you.  That is the rhema, the spirit inspired scripture just for that time and you.  Let him guide you through, and take you other places, some known, but many unknown.  Escape the book of Hezekiah, if you caught that one, you are better than I think, for Hezekiah is the most quoted book of the Bible, except it doesn’t exist.  Get personal with Jesus, a letter from home, telling you how much he loves you and can’t wait to spend time with you again.  Homesick for heaven....maybe it isn’t that personal yet.
Imagine how excited the first church was when getting a letter from Paul.  “Read that part about how we all fall short, and how at the right time Jesus save us,”the church must have cried out.  Read it over and over, like the letter it was sent and meant to be.  We all like getting mail, how about mail from heaven from our father there?  Just might change the way you see Jesus, and draw you closer.  For unlike the numbers of past engines, God’s word lasts forever.  You see when my generation is gone, it is no longer a 302 or 305, but a 5.0.  455’s will be 6.6, even the 327 will be a 5.3.  Or is it 5.4?  No romance there, is there romance in reading God’s word?
By the way, my friend arrived at 615 for our 300 appointment.  Just numbers on a clock to him, but much more than that to me now.  Time and motors take us back, only Jesus gives us reason to look ahead.  George on the corner has a GTO with a 389, I wonder if he wouldn’t mind laying down a patch for me....no 389 on any clock, but in my mind.....
Ah the sounds and smells.....of running on all eight cylinders!
love with compassion,
Mike
matthew25biker.blogspot.com