Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Tweety Bird's mom



















As a young Christian and wanting to fit in with the new crowd I was part of, among my classes at UNM I included “the history of Christianity,” and “the Bible as literature.”  Sounds like two good courses any Christian new or old should take, so on my way to a degree I would never earn, I took them.  At that age, I hadn’t been shown the difference between the church and God, or religion and Jesus.  But I was soon to find out, that true teaching and wisdom comes via the holy spirit, which were absent in both classes.  The history class was taught by a Mormon, a non-Christian who didn’t believe Jesus is deity as per their religion, and a conservative Irish Catholic, a Jesuit, who believed the Pope had authority over the Bbile, and who had a skill of avoiding any question asked.  There were about six of us who were believers in the class, even a Church of Christ pastor who I got to know, who operated on shaky scripture, but to the others it was just a history class.  Where the title said history of Christianity, it was really a history of the church, which isn’t very pretty and needs to be separated from God, because too many times they were.  I got a c in the class, the final was “document the three most important events in Christianity,” and I did beautifully.  The birth, death, and resurrection of Jesus are the most important, and I documented them well using scripture, which obviously was not an approved text.  Such events as the Borgias, Joseph Smith, and Martin Luther’s 95 theses were the answers, I should have known in a secular environment, God would be left out and mocked.  But I did learn that the only reason you study is to pass the test, I had passed the course, but succeeded in my walk with Christ.  I knew him, they taught around him, such is the liberal world of today.  Some things don’t change over time, and sin is still sin....so much for those who studied to find themselves approved, they forgot to ask “by whom?”
But the second course I took, again the same Christians and Pastor Sam, was taught by a woman who looked like Tweety Bird’s mother, an elderly sweet grandma looking woman, silver haired with a bun in the back, even wore long dresses and talked sweet.  About the only thing she never offered were fresh baked cookies, but what she did offer was teaching that the Bible was not God inspired, and just stories, just history, that some men had put together.  Dated and a hard read, she made fun of the stories, would point out how God was unloving and harsh, and had a way of making you feel stupid when asking questions, “now no man with half a brain would believe anything like that,” when asked about the gospels.  Using a voice more suited to talking baby talk than teaching about the scriptures.  I left the course, was singled out as a Christian who had low tolerance, and was socially hurt, as what kind of Christian would quit a course about the Bible?  I must be wrong, she sounded so sweet, words of blasphemy dripping with honey.  But where was Jesus?  A question we all need to ask when reading, including this, or listening to a pastor teach.  I had learned the hard way, but I did, and it pushed me closer to God, the spirit revealing the truth that no man could interpret without him.  
I have heard more inaccuracies from pulpits and the men who should know than I can handle.  Sermons that don’t challenge, that are just to make you feel good, because God doesn’t want you unhappy.  Religion taught within denominations that contradict the word of God, by teachers who studied everything but, relying on quotes and external references, but not on the holy spirit.  Politics and candidates endorsed from there, their control and grip over the flock amazing, proving what sheep we are that have gone astray.  I even heard how God needs to change to meet the social conditions of today, how he is out of touch, and needs to be brought up to date.  Add in global warming, deny creation, abort fetuses who they say are just tissue, and we are denying life, and Jesus says he is life.  Even denying Jesus as God, but he was a good teacher, philosopher, and prophet.  How stylish and trendy.  But where did they hear this, from whom?  Again, where is Jesus in this?  
I met a man who was referred to as “the Bible answer man” he knew all the Bible, so I had a question for him.  Seems he had all the answers, but had never heard all the questions.  He got confused, then defensive, then angry, and I was the bad guy.  All without Tweety Bird’s mom sweet voice...I saw where Jesus was in it, he wasn’t.  Later I talked with others who sat under him, and what a great man of God he was, how he knew scripture so well, and I must change to meet the church’s beliefs.  I don’t go there any more, and when others who believe as I do see the lies, they stay.  “It’s the same everywhere,” and continue to fill the pews and the collection plate.  After all it’s a mega church, it must be doing something right.  The pastor sells his books, he is on radio and TV.  He goes to Israel twice a year.....but where is Jesus?
God has given us his spirit of discernment, to tell truth from fiction.  We are told to test the spirits, and test my writing against the scripture.  If it ain’t all about Jesus, it is about someone or something else.  I want to see all grow in the spirit, to get all the blessings God has to offer, to be resurrected when we die like Jesus was.  I want the truth, not just any truth, which can only be revealed via the holy spirit. God is real, and like Jesus says, “if it were not so I would have told you.”  Tweety Bird was so nice to look at, but mean to Sylvester the cat.  Who wasn’t as bad as Tweety made him out to be.  Do not be deceived, seek truth in Jesus Christ now.  Deny and abandon all those who teach otherwise, and seek the spirit God has placed in us when we were born again.  Jesus answered, I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me (John 14:6).  The gospel of Jesus Christ, simple so we can get it, free so we can afford it.  Maybe the best advice for today is to be wise as serpents but gentle as lambs.  Jesus is the way, no other, the truth, not a truth, and is life, not a lifestyle.  
Spiritual unity, not a group or congregation or classroom in agreement, but agreeing with Jesus.  Try that one, as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
love with compassion,
Mike
matthew25biker.blogspot.com