Monday, August 14, 2017

what it takes to belong
















“For the LOVE of money is the root of all evil,” scripture tells us, not just money as it is usually misquoted.  God does not hate the rich and love the poor more, as some think, but it seems even in some churches and denominations money makes the world go round.   When God was moving my heart to full time ministry, I was told by some experienced men I needed to establish a donor base, I had given to many before, so it seemed like a good idea.  At least to me, but no one wanted to contribute, so I wondered if God really wanted me to minister.  Was that the proof I needed, no one wanted to support me?  And one afternoon on my front porch, I was seeking an answer, and God answered.  I had prayed “I like to work, I had a good work ethic, had a good record, and felt the desire to serve, but without an income, how would I get by?  I had a mortgage, a family, and bills.”  And I can still hear the answer he gave me, “I will provide manna for your mortgage, in your refrigerator, and for your garage.  If you have to ask it is not a gift, and I like to give good gifts.”  And so he has, and so we have never solicited any money, nor will we, as God provides, my Jehovah Jireh, my provider.  Which has upset a few church men....
One man who has a national radio program advised me that without a donor base, I will fail.  When I told him how God had answered, he looked at me like I was crazy, and couldn’t wait to get away, I wouldn’t back down, and he finally cut me off.  One other man who does professional fund raising for churches, had his booth set up to sell his gift of fundraising to those who needed it.  Again I shared my story, and was blown off, it seems I was cutting into his income, obviously the manna from  heaven was different than the man who was selling it.  One more experience had me wondering, when I was part of a national ministry, and they told me I had to tithe to them.  Or I couldn’t play their game, and then later denied it when I called them on it.  It was in their handbook, was I the only one who had read it?  Does it take money to belong to the elite in God’s kingdom?  Or had I confused his kingdom for the kingdom of man, on earth known as the church?  Or had they...
Until a story got back to me this week, how a man wanting to fill a position in a church as worship leader was told he “didn’t tithe enough to earn the position.”  It seemed money again reared its ugly head, the sad thing being at all three churches, they teach the Bible verse by verse, they are known as Bible teaching churches, yet each one depended more on the income from man instead of the outcome from God.  The spirit was not in them, I wonder if it ever had, and questioned God to make sure I was in the spirit.  His answer was simple, “these things shall follow those that believe,”  and I could look anyone in the eye and no owe them anything but love.  No one had a stake in my ministry and any success except God himself.  I had built my house of ministry upon the rock of Jesus, and it withstood.  While these men and their types were out begging for money, I was out spreading the gospel, with God providing every need.  He did then, he does now, and he will continue if I seek him, so I do.  With the blessings of seeing how the Lord uses our little to do much, and we get to see him at work, instead of doing it by ourselves.  Sadly the pastor of one of the above churches when asked how their year was, he readily admitted “we have met all our financial obligations.”  To quote a line from Seamus in True Confessions, he tells the Cardinal, “I thought we were supposed to be in the business of saving souls?”  To which he is answered, “don’t tell me my job.”  The same answer we give to God many times...
Last year when a friend was in he hospital, I encountered his wife and two of her friends.  Her friends had just spent a weekend at a conference on heaven, taught by the radio personality who had never been there.  They knew my story, and all but called me a liar, because this man told them anyone who has seen heaven is a liar, for no one has ever seen it.  Paul records seeing it, and he denies it?  I have seen it, I know of others, and it is up to God, not man to make the rules, his first rule being love.  At least they didn’t ask for me to contribute...
So beware of pay to play Christians, who maybe really aren’t.  God says seek him first, then all things will be added unto him. Today he still loves to give good gifts, as a couple dropped by a truckload of clothes and a bed that is needed.  We have a pastor who gives us free food we distribute each week.  Where others see money, we see needs, and see Jesus meeting them one on one.  Either Jesus is the way or he isn’t, so beware of men and teachings that twist scripture for their benefit.  No one robs God and gets away with it, yet they are offered the same forgiveness as we all are.  Maybe a quick question will remind you of how temporary money is, but grace is eternal.  John D. Rockefeller was once the richest man in the world, with inestimatable wealth.  How much did he leave when he died?  Everything!  So why hang onto something that will flow through your fingers, and have no value in heaven?  You cannot take it with you, but you can send it ahead.  Love that is, the gift that keeps on giving.  God loves a cheerful giver, if interested ask him how he feels about a bitter tither.  And if you have to ask, it isn’t a gift, and he still loves to give good gifts. And yes he is still in the business of saving souls!
Psalm 37:25  I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread. Amen to that.
love with compassion,
Mike 
matthew25biker.blogspot.com