Wednesday, December 13, 2017

oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood













Every once in a while, usually when things are going my way, I think I’ve got this thing called life figured out.  Then something happens, and derails my train of tranquility, and I am faced with the reality of how much I don’t know, and how much I depend on God.  One day I am excited about the new appliances we are getting-am I getting old and domesticated? The next minute contemplating having to replace my whole downstairs due to the water on the floor from the fridge leaking, it was hooked up wrong, and it flooded.  One minute enjoying the gifts of God the next minute wondering where he is, why did he let this happen?  I have this dream of living happily ever after, it seems the ever after part is farther off more often lately.  And after 24 days of hassling with vendors, installers, people who should be doing their job, insurance companies, and their estimators, today it is finally settled.  We will be getting a new floor, which should make any homeowner happy, but we didn’t want a new floor, we liked the old one.  If we had wanted a new floor, well, I think you get the picture.....
But being patient, or rather impatient, God has brought us through another chapter in our lives.  Because of our flood, I have been able to share the Lord and encourage two men.  One came to checkout the damage for my insurance company, and he poured his heart out about his family, a strong Catholic, he trusts God, but still hurts.  His wife left him and turned his two daughters against him, and it is Christmas time.....the other seeking God, just not knowing it, who serves the homeless, out of compassion, and doesn’t see how Jesus is changing his life, all without him knowing it.  It reunited us with an old friend, who gave us good advice on the floor, which we are taking, and we will have enough money to replace the old countertops.  A new kitchen, paid for by the insurance money, free and clear, all because our floor flooded, because a man didn’t check a valve and it leaked.  And who says the ways of God aren’t mysterious....
Last week I got a letter from a man who is in jail with a brother of mine, who is seeking God, but has a lot of pain in his life.  All he wants is to find peace, drugs and motorcycles didn’t do it, and now has PTSD.  I can associate with that, the PTSD.  Sharing his letter with the group I pastor, they are reaching out to him in love, first in prayer, and then by writing.  They want to encourage him in Christ, they too have a background in drugs, bad decisions, and loneliness.  Add being homeless and hungry without hope, they have been there, and want to reach out to him.  All because an inmate who knows Jesus Christ stood by him when he was hurting, and showed him the love of Jesus.  Heaven will be flooded with ex-sinners, some who did time, and I cannot wait to meet those I have never met, yet have been part of my prisoner ministry.  The letters they send are my paycheck, no amount of money could meet the love and support and encouragement they provide.  And my prisoner ministry all started when my son got arrested...the 2am phone call that shattered my life, but that God had control of all the time.  I don’t get it, but Jesus does, my only hope.  My prayer simple, “oh Lord, please don’t let me be misunderstood.”
Which is why the things of God are mysteries rather than mysterious, and I get excited when he reveals the answers to me.  Job in his testing, found that life is basically a mystery, that we don’t understand.  Oh we try, but our finite minds cannot grasp the infinite love and power of a loving God.  Job’s friends all offer him no prayer, but lay the blame for his situation on sin in his life.  If only he had listened to them, he might not be suffering now.  Yet it is they who suffer, for in Job’s suffering he begins to trust God.  To trust God for and with the answers, and how it will all work out for him.  He is teaching Job that he has purpose and a purpose, why are the most rewarding times with God after a tremendous battle?  If only we could get it before we get into trouble.
Over the years I have met many who have fallen away and paid a price.  But God never abandoned them, and graciously accepted them back.  You see when I pray that I don’t want to be misunderstood, I should be praying that I don’t misunderstand God.  Or the things of God.  That the spirit will guide me in truth, give me comfort, and provide a way when there seems to be no way.  Leaving us with a testimony that others need to hear, and we need to thank him for.  No one wants cancer, to be homeless, to be unemployed, to lose their family, bad choices will win out, or so it may seem.  But God has everything under control, and we win in the end.  He who began a good work in me, will be faithful to complete it.  It is the job of Jesus, not us.  We just need to trust and obey.  Then let God be God, without our help.  Looking back, we didn’t ask for the pain and turmoil, but when we come to the knowledge that it was God’s plan, and accept it as a way to give glory to him, we begin to trust, and we see the finish line getting closer, we see the checkered flag, not the red flag warning.  We are ready when the white flag signals the last lap, and we have the faith to finish.  Jesus hung on the cross for six hours before he proclaimed “it is finished.”  Sin had lost and he had won, and we win too.  That’s the gospel, so easy a sinner can get it. 
You know, somehow I just knew we would end up winning when our kitchen flooded, another mystery solved.  If only I could have understood it from the start.  All things, not just good things, work out for those who love the Lord, and are called to his purpose.  His purpose is knowing Jesus.  It wasn’t raining when Noah built the ark.  So why is God so misunderstood?
love with compassion,
Mike
matthew25biker.blogspot.com