Wednesday, April 27, 2016

if it has a skirt or wheels it will give you trouble, skirts part 1









Her name was Ginger, and the daughter of the best friend of my mother in high school.  We were all meeting back at my cousin’s wedding in Pennsylvania, and they were catching up after many years, of course bragging on who had better kids.  We would all meet the next day at my cousin’s wedding, and meet, Ginger’s mom more excited than mine.  And meet we did, just before the wedding, and Ginger and I hit it off.  Only problem my girlfriend of 3 years was with me...and the old saying if it wears a skirt or has wheels it will let you down was about to become true to me.  She was pretty, and interested in me, which of course built my ego to an unsurpassed high.  Which led me on, despite the fact I was very happy with my girlfriend.  I could see the trouble coming, I just didn’t know it was here already.
She was in town, about an hour ride for another week, and since I was between jobs, I started one the day after she left, I went up to visit.  And we had fun, but with her mother cheerleading for us to get together.  I was just visiting...or so I thought.  And then we spent another day together, and she was serious, I was stupid. 
She left and went back to Ohio, 700 miles and two states away, and we wrote to each other.  In these pre email and cell phone days, you paid big by the minute, and mail it was.  A few weeks went by, and she was telling me of how her family was going to the lake by her for the weekend, and how much fun I would have.  But she was still 700 miles and two states away, but it was a 3 day weekend....So on the Friday night of Labor Day, around 7pm, I decided to go.  A ride with a present on the end was too much temptation, and I gave in.  But my R90S needed an oil change, the bike got better care than my love life, and I drained the oil, and refilled it.  Or rather watched it run out where I had forgotten to replace the drain plug, two quarts of Valvoline 10-40 lubing the floor.  After the customary cussing and anger, I went to look for oil, finally finding an auto parts store closed, but the owner just leaving and opened up for me.  My mind was racing,and every problem just made me want to leave even more.  All common sense had left me at this point, and by 9 pm, the oil was securely where it was intended to be, I was packed, and off to Ohio, western Ohio, some 700 miles away from New Jersey.  Oh, the things we do for love....or was it just lust?
More than one man has been smitten by a pretty face, and the promise of love.  Sampson was such a one, whose recorded in the Hall of Faith chapter in Hebrews.  We all know the story of his long hair, and how as a judge in Israel was forbidden by laws from certain things.  But when he fell for Delilah, a foreigner, he gave in.  He was in love, she was in it for a different reason.  And he wanted her bad, which is how it all turned out.  He touched a dead thing, a lion when he saw a honey comb in it.  Touching anything dead was heresy to the Jews.  And as a priest, big time trouble.  He drank wine, only a little, which also was forbidden.  How many make the excuse before it is too late?  Even today?  And finally she cut his hair, and he lost his strength.  She had won, and now blinded, had to be led around.  Thousands of years ago skirts and wheels was still a problem.  But God had promised him a victory, which he would win.  God’s promises are always true.  And blinded, he pulled down the pillars once his hair had grown back and his strength returned.  Being killed in the action....never seeing the victory or celebrating it that God had promised.  And yet, he is known as a man of faith?  How do we compare?
God knows our heart, and loves us anyway.  He also knows the plans he has for us, if only we would listen.  When he sent Jesus to reunite us and forgive our sins, it was past, present, and the future-forever.  All sins as if they had never existed.  And ours are today still forgiven in the same way.  And God has promises for us, if we turn to him.  When we are led by his spirit instead of our own lustful desires, we see all the blessings.  We get the victories in life and get closer to him.  But we get hung up on our sin, too many saying “you don’t know what I’ve done, God can never forgive me...” and they doubt God and his word.   And bring bitterness and sadness into many other lives because of it.  No sin is singular, or personal.  It effects others we may never know about.  But all are forgivable.  We need to forgive ourselves and move on.
Sampson did, but had gone too far.  He saw the signs, but didn’t heed the warnings.  I didn’t that summer either, and leaving that night was about to be trouble.  If only it was the rain, I could have ridden in it.  But other dangers lay ahead down the road, blinded by lust I rode on.  I didn’t know it then, I would be saved a year later, but God was looking out for me.  While still a sinner, he loved me.  Tomorrow find out the wheels part....and what laid ahead for me.  If only I had learned the lesson of Sampson, my Delilah was waiting.
love with compassion,
Mike
matthew25biker.blogspot.com