Thursday, April 28, 2016

if it has a skirt or wheels you can expect trouble, part 2, wheels













On every journey, every ride, there is a point of no return.  Looking back we see the places provided where we could turn around and go back, but kept on going regardless of the outcome.  I had passed that point by a few hundred miles, despite the rain and the cold.  Even to the point of picking up a hitch hiker while filling up along I-80, something I never do, let alone on a motorcycle.  In the rain.  But he insisted, and I gave in, and for an hour he got soaked like me.  I finally let him off, he resisted, I guess he really was going somewhere or being chased, and on I went.  Into Ohio, and looking for gas got off the interstate and got lost.  Only to be led out of a wooded area by a county sheriff, who told me “this is the kind of area people go in and never come out.”  Like I said, past the point of no return.  But on I rode, the sun coming up behind me, blinding me in my mirrors.  Still early, but now dry and cold, a Porsche comes up behind me, then pulls aside of me and wants to race.  I engaged him for awhile, but it was no contest for my R90S.  And at over 100, I ducked behind a truck when I saw the Ohio State Trooper, and he went by, flipping me off, thinking he had won.  An hour later when pulled over by the same trooper, he was handcuffed in the back seat, yelling “that’s the guy, that’s the guy” in reference to me.  I claimed I never saw him before, and the cop let me go, reminding me the speed limit in Ohio is 55, not the 110 mph the Porsche owner had been arrested for.  And on I rode...
Until just outside Columbus I was making time, drying out but cold.  The two jackets I was wearing soaked, and then the second trooper appeared.  I saw him first, so I rode directly over to him in the center median.  As he rolled down the window, I asked him, “I’m lost, is this the way to Dayton?”  As he answered yes, he also wanted to see my license.  He had clocked me at 111, and with no Porsche driver to blame, I told him to help me pull off my glove.  Which he did, my hand stained black, looked like Herman Munster’s with black fingernails, and all shriveled up from the rain.  I was shaking, and he let me off.  Reminding me to drop my speed again to 55.  Which I assured him I would as I struggled to put on my glove.  And rode off, only an hour to my destination. 
I arrived around 9am, in time for breakfast, and I was glad to be there.  After eating with the family, and her mother asking “when are you going to tell him?” a few times, off we went to the lake.  With no sleep, I went sail boating, and was OK all day.  But Ginger was acting aloof, not herself.  Maybe it was me, maybe the ride, maybe nothing.  I would have a bombshell dropped on me by her later that night at dinner.  And find out why her mother kept asking “when are you going to tell him?”  Exhausted physically, that was about to be joined by emotionally too.
Not much is said about the conversation between Noah and his family when God asked him to build the ark.  He was 600 at the time, and faced with the fact he had been given a job from a God you couldn’t see, to gain protection from rain that had never occurred, it must have been tough on them all.  We know that Noah was given a hard time for the 120 years it took to build the ark, but what his wife.  I can hear the gossip, “Hey Mrs. N, how’s the weather today? Going boating?”  Or the things not said to her face, and how even her closest friends may have left her under pressure.  How would you feel if your daughter came home and wanted to date one of his sons?  “No way, that old man is nuts.  So are his kids and wife.  You stay away, I forbid you.”  But yet three women did, and married into Noah’s family, and would join him on the ark.  How sad that his in-laws came so close, they were family, but rejected his message.  And when the rains came, it was too late. 
Twelve men, who came under fire for following Jesus, and would ultimately be martyred stayed loyal.  One didn’t, and often he seems to be remembered most.  How often we talk of those who died and had rejected Jesus, but fail to rejoice about those who are saved and follow him.  How many times have we been asked by others when dealing with a lost friend “when are you going to tell him?” My experience is to let the spirit guide me, but others tend to rush in, Bible in one hand and a Jesus stick in the other, wanting to beat them into salvation.  When we neglect or are taught improperly to be that witness for others to see Jesus in.  To show love, compassion, respect, and courtesy.  To be light and salt, yet many come at us with their high beams on blinding us, or dumping salt on our wounds.  Remember it wasn’t raining when Noah built the ark, don’t wait until it is too late.  We all must know at least one person who needs love and affection? 
But yet Judas is remembered even more, or rather his death is.  How many know of how the other 11 died?  10?  Even one?  But yet we all know how Jesus died, and for what.  Shouldn’t that be enough to want to share his love with others, the same love that changed you?  It may be as close as the in-laws of Noah, who rejected God, don’t you.  And love on your wife and kids too, don’t preach at them.  There is a reason they stray, don’t you be it.  But be there when they fall, and the rains are knocking at the door.  Do not block them out.  Jesus knocks not be let in, but because he was locked out of the church.  And he threw up because he was sickened by it.  But yet he knocks today...
Skirts and wheels come in all shapes and sizes.  Tomorrow find out what Ginger was going to tell me, and how it affected my life.  My walk, and my ride.  I had escaped getting ticketed for riding over 100 mph twice, would I again?  Would I even be so foolish?  Would I ever get any sleep?  Would I get on the ark or make fun of it?  Would you?
love with compassion,
Mike
matthew25biker.blogspot.com